33: Velanna's Apology

Soundtrack:

Hand of Sorrow ~ Within Temptation (Grey Warden Theme)

Haven Theme ~ Jason Graves (Amaranthine)

Sigrun sat next to me in the mess hall.

"How are you feeling?" I asked.

"Well, I can't say it's the best I felt but better."

I smiled.

"You know, it's much easier to fight Darkspawn on the surface. On a clear day, you can see for leagues. I once heard about a contraption known as a...," She paused, trying to remember the name of what she spoke of. "Hmm... spyglass, I think it's called? My friend Varlan said they let you see distant enemies as though they were right beside you. Is that true? It sounds like magic."

I'd seen one once myself. Before he returned to his homeland, Sten showed me one in the Denerim marketplace. Even explained how it worked and showed me how to use one. I hadn't used one since.

"Yes, it's true. It's a Qunari invention."

"Then they must be the cleverest people in Thedas. In the Deep Roads, the Darkspawn can appear out of nowhere. A spyglass sounds the very opposite. Someday, while I'm still on the surface, I would like to look through one."

"I think that can be arraigned," I said with a smile. I saw Justice passing by and he suddenly stopped and looked like he was listening. I smiled to myself knowing he was sensing the ring. "Justice."

He joined me. "Yes, Commander?"

"I have something for you." I held out the carefully wrapped ring.

He gave me an odd look as he took it. "What is that sound? Such beautiful singing." He had the ring completely unwrapped now and he held it in his hand. "The stone within this ring... is it lyrium?"

"Raw lyrium."

"You found it. Just as I asked of you. I am most grateful." He closed his hand over it. "Of all the things I have seen in this world, this is the most precious. I shall keep it at my side as a reminder that even in misfortune, good can be found."

He walked away and I noticed Sigrun had a confused look on her face. "He used to be a Warden named Kristoff," I explained. "Kristoff was killed by Darkspawn to draw me into a trap. We were pulled into the Fade and we helped a Spirit of Justice free souls trapped by the Baroness of the Blackmarsh. She sent everyone out of the Fade, including the spirit, who was forced to possess Kristoff's body."

"I guess that explains why he looks like death warmed over."

I gave a laugh. "We're trying to find a way for him to return to the Fade. I found a raw lyrium ring in Kal'Hirol and I had to give it to him. To remind him of home."

Sigrun nodded. "It must be nice to have a place to belong."

"You're not casteless here. You're more than a brand, you're a person. With worth. Remember that in this dysfunctional family."

Sigrun laughed.

"It's an empty book," I heard Velanna say. I glanced over to the next table to see she and Nathaniel sitting together. "Why have you given me a worthless item?"

"I thought that you could write the stories of your people in it," Nathaniel answered. "Maybe even write new ones. Your people didn't have the same advantages as mine. We have a ton of stories, told generation to generation and written down for centuries. You only have the stories told by your elders."