3: The Talking Darkspawn

Soundtrack:

Hand of Sorrow ~ Within Temptation (The Grey Warden Theme)

We finally reached the roof after fighting our way through the rest of the Darkspawn and helping more survivors. The attack had been swift and thorough, those that had survived the initial attack were trying to keep hidden from the bands looking for survivors. I was very impressed with Anders' skill with offensive magic and his healing skills rivaled Wynne's. I had my bow in my hand as I stalked forward. I could feel about four Darkspawn. I reached the corner and peeked around. A soldier was backing away, fear plain on his face. A larger Darkspawn, its face painted red and white and with chain mail covering its head calmly walked towards him. I could sense something was different about this one and assumed it was the leader. A Hurlock had Varel on his knees, a sword to his throat.

"Shit," I whispered to myself. I could only hope that they didn't kill him before I could reach him. I drew an arrow and placed it against the string, ready to strike. The soldier stopped at the edge of the roof and looked down behind him.

"It has ended just as he foretold."

I blinked and gaped. It truly was a talking Darkspawn! I couldn't believe it. I had never once until now encountered one with the powers of speech. I wondered if Duncan had known there were Darkspawn who could speak. The talking Darkspawn kicked the soldier, sending him screaming to his death below.

After the scream abruptly ended, he turned towards the Hurlock and Varel. "Be taking this one, gently. We are wishing no more death than is necessary."

"Necessary?" Varel retorted and I had to keep Mhairi from rushing forward.

"Wait."

"As if your kind has ever done anything else!"

I peeked back around the corner. I knew they could sense me as much as I could sense them. Why hadn't they tried to attack yet?

"You are thinking you know of our kind, human? It is understandable. But that will soon be changed."

"Others will come, creature! They will stop you!"

"There is only one Grey Warden here. Will that one Grey Warden stop us?"

As if it were my cue, I stepped out from behind the building and walked towards them, Tristan at my side. "I'm sure you know the answer to that, Darkspawn," I said.

The others followed me out. I stood with the arrow nocked. I could draw and release at a moment's notice.

The Darkspawn turned towards me before looking back at Varel. "It seems your words be true, more than you are guessing." He looked back at me. "The very Grey Warden that killed Urthemiel stands before me."

"Nice to know I'm famous amongst the Darkspawn," I retorted.

"It is talking," Anders said, amazed.

"Well, let's shut it up already!" Oghren cried, hefting his axe.

"Realin!" I could hear desperate surprise in Varel's voice. I was sure he hadn't been expecting me to show up in the nick of time. And the fact that he didn't call by my title told me he didn't want to reveal my rank to this Darkspawn.

"Capture the Grey Warden. These others, they may be killed."

The arrow went through the forehead of the Hurlock holding Varel. The Seneschal scrambled to his feet. The Darkspawn hissed and rushed towards me. I tossed my bow aside and drew my swords, blocking the blow he aimed at me. He swung his shield at me and I ducked. I sliced my blade into the back of his leg. He howled in pain and slammed his shield into me, sending me flying. I landed and rolled several feet. I barely stopped before I went over the edge.

"Commander!" Varel grabbed my arm and helped me to my feet

 Anders was holding the Darkspawn with an ice spell, but I could see the ice cracking and Anders struggling to hold it, gritting his teeth and putting his all into the spell. The Darkspawn was close to the wall, giving me an idea to use one of my signature attacks, as Alistair loved to refer to what I was about to do. Mhairi was rising from being knocked back by the talking Darkspawn. I sprinted forward, using her shield to launch towards the wall. Once my foot hit the wall, I shoved off of it and towards the Darkspawn. I sailed past him, both my blades shattering his head just before Anders lost the spell and staggered backward. His body fell forward, shattering as it hit the ground, as I landed lightly on my feet.

"Now, that's the Realin I know!" Oghren said, wrenching his axe out of the head of another Darkspawn.

I went over to Anders, who was on a knee and using his staff as a support. "You alright?"

The Mage nodded. Tristan sat in front of him, looking at him worriedly. The mabari only did that to people he liked. He must have sensed something about Anders to decide that he liked him so quickly.

"Yeah," he said. "Give me... Give me a minute."

Varel approached us and crossed his wrists and brought them to his chest. "Commander, I owe you my life," he said. "I was not expecting you to arrive when you did."

"I left Denerim as soon as I received your message. I met Mhairi on the road."

"I am grateful that you did, otherwise I would be dead or worse."

I nodded.

"Are there any left in the Keep?"

"No. The five of us," I motioned to the others. "Slaughtered every Darkspawn we came across. I sense several more but they are retreating as we speak."

Varel nodded before he looked out over the Keep and frowned. He walked towards the edge of the roof and I sensed the taint of a Warden. "Hmm... Soldiers on the road. It seems we have more company." He turned to me. "Hopefully they're more hospitable than our previous guests." 

I smiled, knowing exactly who was arriving. I knew he'd be disappointed that he missed all the fun. "That they will be."

Varel motioned for me to lead the way back to the courtyard to meet our guests.