9: Amaranthine

Soundtrack:

Haven Theme ~ Jason Graves (Amaranthine)

Amaranthine was smaller than Denerim. But I think it had just as many people. Many of them were outside the gates.

Suddenly, Anders took a deep breath. "Ah, can you smell that?" he asked. "That is the smell of freedom."

I raised my brow at him.

"It comes complete with the smell of dogs and dust."

Tristan gave a low growl.

"But the freedom is there, too." He looked at Tristan. "I'm not saying you smell bad or anything."

Tristan barked.

"You really don't care for the Circle of Magi, do you?" I asked.

"I escaped the tower seven times. After the last time, they put me in solitary confinement for a year. Eventually, they would have branded me a Malificar, true or not, and executed me."

"Like Rylock was threatening."

"The problem is that Mages are tolerated. Barely. It's like you need permission to be alive. There's nothing a Mage can do to prove himself. Everyone needs to be protected from you. The end."

"There has to be a better way."

"The Tevinter Imperium has a better way, but we know how that argument flies around here."

In Tevinter, Mages ruled. As far as I knew, they didn't have Circles. At least not like here. Magic wasn't looked down upon like a curse, but something to be celebrated. A vast contrast to Ferelden.

Anders sighed. "All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools."

I smiled. "Sounds reasonable."

"See? I knew you understood. Never mind me. Now and again I recall I'm not sitting in a cell and I have to smile, that's all."

"That is a good reason to smile about." I spotted a human and an Elf with hunting equipment and hoped one of them was Colbert. I approached them.

The human turned to me and looked me up and down. "Looking for company, honey-pie? I'm always available for riveting conversations with fine women."

I heard Anders and Oghren murmuring to each other, no doubt making bets on whether or not I'd beat the shit out of Cobert. In the past, I might have. But now that I was a Commander and a ruler, that would have been frowned upon and only make the Wardens look bad. Nathaniel started to step forward. I held my hand up to stop him. Pity the Grey Warden uniforms were enroute from Denerim. That comment perhaps would never have happened if I were wearing it.

"I'll rivet you to the floor if you call me that again," I said.

"I like a woman who's all business."

"Are you Colbert?"

"Yes."

"I'm here to talk about the Darkspawn."

"Oh, you're one of those Grey Wardens. You find some Darkspawn and sure enough, the Grey Wardens come knocking."

I crossed my arms.

"I can't take all the credit for finding the rift, you know. Micah here fell in first." No wonder Garevel couldn't remember the other one's name. Micah was an Elf. Micah grunted.