25: Velanna's Joining

Soundtrack:

I am the One ~ Inon Zur (The Joining)

Hands of Sorrow ~ Within Temptation (Grey Warden Theme)

I heard the shouting as we approached the Keep. I ran forward, thinking we were being attacked. Instead, I found shouting was coming from peasants and commoners. The soldiers were struggling to hold them back. Garevel looked like he was ready to give an attack order. Varel was trying to calm the crowd. But from the sounds of their increasing agitation, he was failing. I motioned for my Wardens and Velanna to go around and Tristan and I approached from the side. Both Garevel and Varel were relieved to see me.

"Thank the Maker you arrived," Garevel said. "Things are getting out of hand."

"The Darkspawn are everywhere!" a peasant shouted. I pegged him as the ringleader of this circus. "You can see them from the city walls! But the Commander will spare no soldiers for our protection!"

I looked at Varel. I gave no such order.

"We haven't enough soldiers for both here and Amaranthine," Varel said. "I made that decision while you were in the field, Commander. I didn't think that it would backlash like this." He shook his head. "The times seem to be getting even graver. The commoners are getting desperate."

"Desperate enough to attempt a revolt," I responded. Not only did I have to worry about backstabbing nobles, but the common folk as well it seemed.

"Maybe you can say a few words? Calm them down, make them see reason. I've heard of your talents of calming even the most rebellious of men."

"Varel, you don't coddle a revolt. You put it down," Garevel argued. "Commander, just give me the order."

"I have a feeling you were about to give the order without me."

Garevel seemed surprised.

"I may be Dalish, but I have been among the humans long enough to know how you are." I stepped forward, raising my hands. "Now, more than ever, we must stand together!" My voice rose clear over the shouts.

"We will not be —"

A woman cut him off. "Let the Commander speak!"

"We must take the Keep! To be safe!"

"Quiet!"

"Safe from what?" I asked him. "Will you be able to defend the Keep from the Darkspawn when they come? The Keep needs protection as well. The Vigil falls, so will Amaranthine."

"How dare you —"

"The Commander speaks sense! I'm going home!" The crowd began to disperse.

"Wait!" the leader turned towards the others. "You'll let the knife ear talk to you like that?" When he turned back around, I was inches from him. He took a startled step back. I knew he never heard me approach him.

"This knife ear could have easily ordered an attack on you." My voice was steady and calm. I found that unnerved humans more than if you had any other emotion in your voice. "Your friends could have been killed. For what? Hate? Fear? Go home to your family. They need your protection more. And be grateful that I am choosing the merciful path."

He nodded and quickly retreated after his fellows. I turned back to Garevel and Varel. The others had joined them now that the crowd had dispersed. Garevel was all but gaping. Velanna looked impressed. As did Varel.