10: The Crown and Lion

We came upon an inn called The Crown and Lion. When we walked in, the innkeeper only glanced up and then went back to what he was doing. A patron was talking about someone having gotten their hands on moonshine and wondering if he would sell him some. Another talked about a blister he'd gotten from working on a farm. No one gave us a second glance as I approached the innkeeper, aside from a slender and taller than usual Elf in the corner who watched me through his snowy hair. There was a lethal grace about him, making me instantly curious.

"Something I can do for you, friend?" the innkeeper asked, boredly. As he was actually giving me the time of day, I did my own talking.

"Did a Grey Warden named Kristoff come through here?" This got his attention. He gave me a good look then and I could feel he didn't like the question coming from an Elf. And I didn't sense a third Warden here. I was beginning to think that we'd never find him.

"And who are you supposed to be that's asking?"

I took that as confirmation that this was the inn he'd come to. "I would be his Commander."

The innkeeper blinked, surprised at my response. "An Elf? I..." Realization hit him just then. "The Hero of Ferelden! Yes, of course. Haven't seen that fellow Kristoff for almost a week now. Not sure where he went." The information rolled off his tongue now that he knew who I was. "The room's paid up to the end of the month. I guess he expected he'd be here for a while."

"I'd like the key to his room."

"Of course." He handed me the key without hesitation. "It's the last room at the end of the hall. If he comes back and gets upset, however, it's on your head."

We went upstairs and found Kristoff's room. The room had very few of Kristoff's personal effects in it. I found his journal, which was written in Fereldan thankfully, and flipped to the last entry, where he spoke of a place called the Blackmarsh. According to the entry, the Blackmarsh was said to be haunted.

"Looks like he had investigated several places," Nathaniel said.

I looked up to see him studying a map.

"The Blackmarsh is the only place not crossed out."

"According to this, Kristoff talked to a man who'd encountered Darkspawn in the Blackmarsh. Also looks like he encountered our friend from the Keep. Or another talking Darkspawn."

"Since when do Darkspawn talk?" Nathaniel asked.

"Trust me, if I hadn't seen it myself, I wouldn't have believed it either."

"Very unnerving, let me tell you," Anders said. "And creepy. Very creepy."

I frowned as I read on. "This man also describes a creature that looked like a worm with legs. I've never heard of such a creature." I looked over at the others. All three shook their head.

"I've heard stories from folks who'd ventured into the Deep Roads on expeditions," Oghren said. "But none of them came back with stories of walking worms. Unless you count Deepstalkers."

"This doesn't sound like a Deepstalker," I said, having seen Deepstalkers in person when our group ventured into the Deep Roads looking for Paragon Branka. "This seems to be attached to the Darkspawn. This man told Kristoff that it followed the talking Darkspawn."

"Is it me, or are the Darkspawn acting really strange?" Oghren asked. "Nothing like during the Blight."

"I agree."