1: Commander of the Grey

Soundtrack:

Closer to the Edge ~ 30 Seconds to Mars (Main Theme)

Stand My Ground ~ Within Temptation (Realin's Theme)

It has been six months since I killed the Archdemon Urthemiel with the armies of Ferelden at my back and four months since I became the first Elven Queen of Ferelden. Even though I was queen, I hadn't left the Grey Wardens. Something Alistair had asked before he appointed me as Commander of the Grey. Because my hand had killed the Archdemon and ended the Fifth Blight, the king had seen it fitting that I be the one to lead Ferelden's Wardens. Truthfully, I was the last person that should be leading the Wardens and if the events of over a year and a half ago had been different, I wouldn't be. And I wouldn't be queen, either. With Loghain Mac Tir's betrayal, Cailan, Alistair's half-brother and predecessor, had been slain along with the rest of our Order. Including the man that had saved my life twice before recruiting me into the Wardens. You see, I had been tainted what seems like centuries ago now. Duncan, my predecessor, found me shortly after my best friend at the time, Tamlen, had touched a mirror and tainted us both. He disappeared and I joined the Wardens' ranks in order to protect my clan from my taint and a promised cure for it. I now know that the Joining only slowed the progression, but it's a reprieve I am grateful for. I eventually did see Tamlen again, but he was beyond our help and had begged me to end his life, much to my heartbreak. But enough about my past and the shortest Blight in the history of Thedas.

With the end of the Blight, and after Loghain and his ally, Rendon Howe, got what they deserved, the Arling of Amaranthine, the land that had formerly belonged to the Howes, was given to the Wardens to rebuild their numbers in Ferelden. Several of the Wardens of Orlais had already been in the country helping me somewhat rebuild the Order with their own numbers and I had just received word from the Seneschal of Vigil's Keep, Varel, that I was needed there. From what I understood, the man had been a thorn in Howe's side. He questioned too many orders and had been demoted from seneschal and, as I was told, was awaiting execution the next time Howe was to be at the Keep. Lucky for Varel, I killed the arrogant snake first. He'd been reinstated as seneschal upon Howe's death during my first official visit to the Keep. There was something about the man that made me trust him and Dalish do not trust humans easily, even Dalish Grey Wardens. There were perhaps only a handful of humans I truly trusted and all but one of them had been my constant companions during the Blight. He helped recruit for the Wardens, despite not being one himself. The Orlesian Wardens trusted him enough to let him be privy to Warden secrets, including the Joining and the Ritual itself. Alistair informed me that he would gather an honor guard and join me, wishing to greet the Wardens and welcome them to Ferelden personally. I knew it was an excuse to get away from Eamon and his duties. Ever since I'd found out about Eamon's attempt to break us apart because he didn't approve of our relationship, any respect I had for him had disappeared. I had a feeling Eamon knew this; our meetings had begun to get a bit icy. And I had noticed that a rift had formed between the two, no doubt from Eamon forcing Alistair to the forefront of the Landsmeet and as a contender for the crown. I left Denerim with only Tristan accompanying me. I refused Eamon's insistence that at least one guard accompany me. Teagan countered his elder brother by saying Tristan was enough and that I was no delicate flower. The last was a joke between the two of us. I had saved the mabari in Ostagar while I was still a recruit struggling to hide the pain of the taint and the hound had sought me out after the Battle of Ostagar and repaid me a hundredfold. He had been named after my deceased brother. Quite by accident, mind you. My brother's name had been the first thing to come to mind and had slipped before I could stop myself. My faithful hound liked the name and it stuck. My mother had informed me that he would have been honored to have such a loyal creature named after him.

We had been dealing with roving bands of organized Darkspawn since the end of the Blight and I sensed one of those bands ahead. This band only consisted of a handful of Hurlocks, the larger of the Darkspawn. Since I'd already sensed them, there was no doubt they'd sensed me and would track me down if I tried to go around them. They didn't see me at first as they were intent on a woman in red steel armor wearing a griffin helm. Her sword cut through them and her shield bashed in skulls. Tristan looked up at me, waiting for me to give the command. I nodded and his teeth bared as he raced forward. I drew my bow, an elaborate Dalish longbow given to me by Master Ilen to commemorate both my commission as Commander of the Grey and as a wedding gift. I nocked and let loose an arrow that found its mark through the temple of the Hurlock that was going for the woman's back. It screeched and she spun around. I could see the surprised look on her face. I let loose arrow after arrow before they realized I was even there. I switched to my duel swords and rushed towards them. Between the three of us, they fell quickly. Tristan came to me, looking pleased. I had to smile as I crouched down to check on him. I planted my swords into the ground and scratched the mabari behind the ear. He licked my face and barked.

"Good. Me too," I said.

I straightened and looked around for the woman. I had developed the ability to sense the taint during the Blight. Shortly before my Chantry marriage to Alistair, I discovered I could tell the difference between Wardens and Darkspawn. Something my husband couldn't do, despite having been in the Wardens six months longer than I. She was walking towards me. I retrieved and sheathed my blades. She removed her helm when she got closer. She was younger than I with black hair cropped short and close to her head but she'd been well trained on how to use that sword and shield. She'd reminded me a bit of Alistair with her fighting style. They both used their shields as weapons.

"I'm glad you showed up when you did. I'm not sure how much longer I would have been able to hold them off." Her eyes went to my tattoos and they widened a bit. "You're Dalish?"

"Your powers of observation are impressive," I said sarcastically.

"Oh, Maker! I've put my foot in my mouth." She rubbed her forehead. "I am sorry. I just wasn't expecting to see a Dalish this far north." As I was wearing the worn studded leather armor I'd worn during the Blight and not the Warden uniform, I could only assume she didn't realize who I was. Not that I even had the uniform in my possession as of yet.

"May I ask what you're doing out here alone? We've been having a bit of a problem with Darkspawn since the Blight's ending."

She gave me a good look before her face turned a bright shade of red. "Forgive me, Commander. I didn't realize who you were."

I sighed. I assumed she was a recruit as I didn't sense the taint in her. "I take it Varel forgot to mention that I'm Dalish."

"Oh no. He said you were. I just didn't think you would have begun the journey as soon as you'd received word. He sent me to escort you. My name is Mhairi."

"Realin. As I'm sure you know."