16: The Spirit of Justice

I slowly opened my eyes. I was lying on my back. Above me, the branches of the bare trees loomed over me and raindrops fell on my face.

"Commander?" I heard the concern in Nathaniel's voice before he interrupted my nice view of the branches and felt Tristan's wet nose against my neck.

"I'm alright," I confirmed.

Nathaniel extended his hand. I took it and he helped me to my feet. I looked around at all the dead Darkspawn, grubs, and villagers. The Baroness wasn't kidding. She had indeed sent everyone back. I went to check on the others and Anders did a quick pass over everyone. I saw movement in the corner of my eye and turned to see Kristoff's corpse moving. I froze as Kristoff staggered to his feet, knowing something had come through the Veil with us. I really hoped it wasn't Ainnileas. I could handle the demon that had possessed the Baroness, but my father possessing a corpse I couldn't.

Kristoff looked around confused. "What... where am I?" he asked. "What is happening?"

I didn't think it was the demon then but I kept praying to the Creators, and the Maker, that it wasn't Ainnileas.

He staggered again as he looked around. "No! This is the world of mortals, beyond the Veil!" He touched his face. "And this... this is a mortal body of flesh! I am trapped within!" I let out the breath I didn't realize I was holding. It wasn't Ainnileas at all.

"The Spirit of Justice? How did you get here?" I assumed he would have heard my warning to my father as he'd been nearby.

"The witch sundered the Veil in her haste. All of us were drawn through." His brows knit together. "But I do not sense the spirit that traveled with you."

"I believe Falon'Din shielded him from coming through."

"I do not know who that is, but she has returned to this realm as well. Can you not feel it? The Baroness is nearby."

I looked at Anders and he shook his head. "How? Isn't she dead?" I motioned to the dead villagers. "Just like the others?"

"You misunderstand."

"That happens a lot with me."

"The Baroness is not a mortal as you are or the villagers she kept trapped were. There was such a mortal once but now? That is a demon of pride. She assumed that role long ago to feed from the mortals she trapped."

"Which explains how she was able to draw everyone into the Fade when they burned down the mansion," Anders said. "The demon probably gave her the power to do so."

"Indeed, Mage." Justice looked at me. "Here in your world, she will be something quite different."

I thought of the creature Uldred had turned into at the Tower when we fought him. That wasn't an easy fight. "A large and powerful abomination. What do you propose?"

"The Veil is sundered and the tears must be closed lest they continue to spill demons out into the world. I can alter your weapons for a time, allowing them to drive back the Fade's magic... but if we are to deal with the Baroness, we must move swiftly." A burst of magic came from Justice and a bluish light settled upon our weapons, even Anders staff glowed blue. "I will need the Mage's aid to close the tears, the rest of you will need to deal with any demons that spill forth."

"Let's go."

~~~