24: Escaping the Mines

Soundtrack:

Martyrium ~ Adrian von Zieglar (The Architect)

After we killed the Darkspawn Keenan spoke of and retrieving his ring, along with mine and Nathaniel's armor, and listening to more complaining from Velanna, I led the way down one of the tunnels with the least amount of taint.

"So you not only gave up on killing the Grey Warden who murdered your father," Velanna said to Nathaniel, reminding me of Morrigan just then. "You actually joined the Order." We were stopped as I was attempting to pry a bone out of Tristan's mouth. Of all times, he decided he wanted to play fetch. I swear this dog forgets he's a warhound.

"Are you trying to pick a fight, Velanna?" he sighed. "Baiting me like this is juvenile."

"I just wanted to know how you felt." I shot my fellow Dalish a dirty look as I finally pried the bone away. We continued on, Tristan trying to grab the bone out of my hand, much to Oghren and Anders' amusement.

"How do you feel knowing you murdered all those people because you were too arrogant to check your facts?"

"Warm and fuzzy."

"Creators," I breathed. She sounded exactly like Morrigan just then.

"You're a terrible person. And your ears are clownish."

"What? Who's juvenile now!?"

"Hey!" I said.

"Sorry, Commander." Apparently, he'd forgotten that I was an Elf as well.

Oghren was snickering and Anders looked like he was trying not to laugh. Justice only shook his head. He didn't understand our bantering most days.

We came across a locked room and, sensing no Darkspawn within, I fitted Seranni's key into the lock and opened the door.

"Have we the time for this?" Velanna asked.

"I need answers on who and what this creature is." I found a letter and glanced over it. The name on the letter caught my attention. Where had I heard the name of Utha? I learned that he was behind the attack at the Vigil.

I heard Velanna gasp. "You were right! The Darkspawn kidnapped Seranni and another Dalish and made it look like the humans were behind it." She handed a journal to me. I discovered that he called himself the Architect and he was the first of his kind. Which explained why I'd never seen one like him before. I slipped the journal into my pack.

"He needs to be stopped." I looked at the others. "But first, let's get the hell out of here."

~~~

We walked into a large room with a massive door at the other side and several entrances. I stopped, sensing the taint. Anders went into a defensive stance and Oghren drew his massive axe. I knew then they were starting to be able to sense the Darkspawn. The Architect stepped out of one of the entrances on our left with the Warden Dwarf on one side and Seranni on the other. He looked at Seranni, who looked away. After a moment she looked up at him and then inclined her head. We heard a roar to our right and looked to see a small dragon.

"Shit!" I drew my swords. "Anders, Velanna, throw whatever you can at it. Nathaniel, give the Mages cover. Justice, Oghren, Tristan, with me."

We charged forward. A second dragon appeared, forcing us to divide our attention. Anders, Justice, Tristan, and I focused on one, while Oghren, Velanna, and Nathaniel focused on the other. While Justice and Anders held our dragon's attention, I alighted onto its back and shoved a sword into the back of its neck. It screeched and threw me off. I slid, rolled, and landed back on my feet. I darted back into the fray. A moment later the dragon fell. A few moments later, a well-placed arrow felled the other. I looked back up to where the three were standing. The Architect looked impressed. The Warden only gave me a dirty look before she turned and walked away. The Architect turned and motioned for Seranni to follow the Dwarf. She looked down at us before she, too, turned away. Velanna looked devastated. I knew that pain all too well. And I knew then that Seranni was lost to us. Once they walked through a hole in the wall, the Architect turned and raised his hands in the air. The ground rumbled and a moment later the rocks came crashing down, blocking the entrance and preventing us from following.

"No!" Velanna cried.

I lost my sense of the taint. Creators, guide her and keep her. Mythal, protect her.

Velanna rushed forward a few steps. "Why is she with that monster!? We must get to her!"

"The way is blocked and I can't sense them anymore." I grabbed her shoulders. "But we'll find a way to save your sister. I promise." The promise felt hollow as I said it. I feared it would be one I would not be able to keep.

"Like you promised Tamlen?"

I only looked at her, slowly releasing her shoulders. How had she known about Tamlen? Had the Clans been in closer contact than I thought during the Blight?

"They're Darkspawn," Oghren said, seeming to sense the opening of the non-healing wound. "They'll head underground. To the Deep Roads. They always do."

"The home of the Children of Stone," Velanna said. "Yes... They say Wardens can sense Darkspawn even deep beneath the ground."

"To a point," I said. "Obviously."

"I would join the Grey Wardens. Give me the ability to hunt these monsters in the Deep."

"You may never be able to return to your Clan. Is that something you truly want? Being a Warden means being the first line of defense against the Darkspawn. All else comes second. And there's the possibility that it could kill you."

"I do not care! I do not fear death! I will pledge my service to you and the Shemlen in exchange for the powers your Order can grant. What say you?"

I didn't like her intentions. I crossed my arms. "I don't want you to join for the wrong reasons, Velanna."

"And what was your reason to join?"

I didn't answer at first. "To protect my Clan from the Blight," I finally said. It wasn't exactly a lie...

"Allow me to join you, Realin. That monster needs to die for what he did!"

"Commander," Nathaniel placed a hand on my shoulder. "We don't exactly have people lining up to go through the Joining. Her magic will prove useful and will free up Anders to use more of his magic for healing." The archer had a valid point.

I nodded. "Very well, Velanna. Welcome to the Wardens."

She inclined her head. Justice snorted his disapproval. "My thanks. Shall we go then? I've had enough of this place."