27: Esmerelle's Betrayal

The next morning, we left The Crown and Lion to return to Vigil's Keep. Oghren didn't know for a good hour or so that he had crude drawings on his forehead and couldn't understand why the waitresses kept giggling and Velanna, Anders, and I could barely keep straight faces.

Anders attempted to have a conversation with Velanna. "Perhaps one day we can sit down and discuss magic."

"What would that accomplish?"

"Lots? Great civilizations are built on the sharing of ideas."

"Sharing? You mean stealing, of course. Followed by crushing of those you stole from."

"You know that chip on your shoulder? I think it has replaced your head."

"Both of you knock it off," I said before Velanna's temper flared.

Nathaniel tried next. "You believe that your ancestors used to be immortal?"

"I don't 'believe' it, it's true."

"How do you know?"

"Why would the elders lie?"

"Why indeed."

Anders and Oghren made a drinking bet as we left the city.

~~~

In the wilderness, we ran into a group of Hunters. They immediately drew their bows on us. I held my hands up to keep my Wardens from drawing their weapons. One of the Hunters approached us and I gave him the Hunters' greeting. I saw his surprise before he returned it.

"Greetings, Sister. I did not expect to come across a Dalish traveling with humans." He didn't seem to notice our uniforms.

"I'm sure, Brother." He motioned for the other Dalish to lower their weapons.

"Marren?" Velanna suddenly asked.

He was surprised to see her as well. "Velanna! Well, well, this is certainly a surprise. You traveling with —" He motioned to Anders, Nathaniel, and Justice.

"Shemlens. Yes. The irony does not escape me, clanmate."

"We are no longer your clan, Velanna." There was disdain in his voice and I only raised a brow.

"What is he talking about?" I asked.

"Velanna was exiled. She no longer has a clan. We—"

Velanna cut him off. "Stop. I do not wish to speak of this. The others who left with me... they are dead. And Seranni is gone, taken by the Darkspawn."

"If she is still alive, we will find her," I said. I wasn't the only one with a secret it seemed.

Marren turned to me. "You have my gratitude, Sister." He turned back to Velanna. "Ilshae warned her not to go with you. You see what you brought upon her?"

I saw the hurt in my fellow Dalish's eyes. "Then tell Ilshae she was right! Oh, I can see her smug —"

"Ilshae has passed on." It was always a sad occurrence when a Keeper died. "You know nothing but hatred. The clan is better off without your poison." That was harsh.

"Velanna has changed," I defended her. "She has done good things."

"You care enough to defend her? Perhaps things are different." He sighed. "We've lingered too long. Andruil guide your path, Velanna, Sister." Since he did not call me by name, I could only assume he did not know who I was. Many clans knew the daughter of Ainnileas, even more since the granting of Enansal. Marren perhaps didn't connect the two. He turned away and led the others past us.

Velanna spun around on me. "Do not make a fuss over me!"

"Well, excuse me for defending you."

~~~

When we arrived at the Keep, Nathaniel took a few steps ahead of me without making it look obvious that he was protecting me. We made it through the courtyard without incident. It was in the throne room where Esmerelle decided to make her move. I'd approached Varel to tell him of the strange Elf's warning when the doors suddenly slammed shut. Nathaniel spun around, bow in hand, his other reaching for an arrow. Esmerelle stood with two other nobles and several Antivan Crows.

"Jeeze, you guys really don't give up, do you?" I quipped.

"If you wanted an audience this badly you could have just asked," Varel said. I felt another Warden besides Nathaniel moving to my left and I resisted the urge to look to see who it was.

"I am here about the good Arl," Esmerelle said, her voice harsh. "The one you murdered."

"You're still loyal to Arl Howe?" Judging by Varel's tone, this was a surprise to him.

"Seems dead men still have loyal followers," Nathaniel quipped.

Esmerelle's attention went to my fellow Warden. "One would think that his own son would be loyal as well."

Nathaniel didn't give her the satisfaction of an answer.

She turned her attention back to Varel and I. "Rendon was good to us. Good to me."

"As long as you licked his boots."

She ignored my comment. "And now his death will be avenged."

"You'll have to pass through me first," Nathaniel growled

 I heard the click of a crossbow. Varel suddenly jumped forward, taking the bolt to his shoulder. Nathaniel spun around, releasing his arrow and sending it between the eyes of the Crow who'd shot Varel. I drew my swords and saw another Crow heading straight for Nathaniel's back as Esmerelle came for me. A bolt of lightning struck the Crow and Anders emerged from the shadows.

"See to Varel!" I cried as I charged forward at Esmerelle.

Nathaniel retreated to use his bow. Magic flowed through the air. A few minutes later, I saw Varel out of the corner of my eye fly towards one of the traitors. Esmerelle tried to bash me with her shield. I ducked and slashed at a leg. I felt a blade slid into my side and I spun around, beheading the other treacherous noble. Esmerelle used my attack to her advantage, sweeping her blade up my back. I fell with a cry, pain shooting through my back. The Bann started to bring her sword down to finish me. I held a sword up to block the blow. Only to have Anders step between us. Her blade hit his staff. He quickly spun the staff around and hit her in the side of the head. Esmerelle staggered back and Anders hit her with a lightning spell. She charged at him. I was now on my feet again and I ran my blades into her chest, luckily avoiding her blade. Anders froze a Crow and Varel shattered him. Nathaniel finished off the rest.

"Are you alright, Varel?" I asked. The two of us were the only ones standing that were covered in blood, although Anders had some of Esmerelle's blood on him from my killing her.

"Yes, thanks to Anders. I didn't think that Esmerelle would be this stupid."

"She did always like to go overboard —" Nathaniel's words cut off. "Commander, are you alright?" I hear the concern as if he knew the blood on my armor wasn't just from the nobles and Crows.

I shook my head. "Not really." My world started to go black and I felt myself fall.