7: A Brewing Conspiracy

The private that had stopped me earlier with comments about my race approached me. She saluted. "Seneschal Varel awaits you in the throne room, Commander. Your vassals await."

I sighed.

"Might as well get it over with, Realin," Oghren said.

"I guess you're right." We went into the Keep. "I'm really missing the days of being a Hunter right now."

Oghren laughed. "You probably still would be if it hadn't been for that whole tainting thing."

"You're hilarious."

Varel approached me. "Commander, the Lords of Amaranthine have come to swear fealty to you and to the Grey Wardens."

"Why is this sounding like a repeat of Sophia Dryden?"

Sophia Dryden was the Warden Commander before the Wardens were kicked out of Ferelden. She'd been a noble in the running to become Queen of Ferelden. When her cousin, Arland, was chosen, he gave her the choice of death or join the Wardens. She chose the latter and rose through the ranks quickly. Arland turned out to be a tyrant and the Banns begged her to help them. Long story short, she started a rebellion, got almost every Warden under her command, including herself, killed, and caused the Wardens to be ousted from Ferelden for 200 years. It was Maric who allowed the Wardens to return about 20 or so years ago. Give or take a few years.

Varel chuckled. "I highly doubt you are going to lead a revolt against your own husband." This time I chuckled. He motioned for me to follow him. "These were Arl Rendon Howe's vassals. As the new Arlessa of Amaranthine, they will be yours."

"I'm sure they will be thrilled that they have a Dalish over them."

Varel laughed. "They'll just have to get used to it." And that was the reason why I trusted and liked the man. He didn't care that I was Dalish. All he saw was the Hero of Ferelden, the Grey Warden who ended the Blight.

"What do I need to know about them?"

"Some of them bore no love for Rendon, but others had their prospects ruined with his demise. Tread carefully."

"So another reason for them to hate me. Wonderful."

Varel chuckled. Together, we went into the throne room. The room was full of nobles. Many looked down their noses at me, as I expected. Others didn't even give me a second glance, also expected. One, a blond-haired woman in a simple dress, watched me curiously.

"Lords and Ladies," Varel's voice rose above the din of conversation. The nobles quieted. "I present Realin Mahariel-Theirin, Warden Commander of Ferelden and Arlessa of Amaranthine." I'd chosen to add Alistair's surname to my own after we married, my way of keeping alive where I came from while accepting my new life. I was glad Varel left out "Queen of Ferelden". I heard several murmurs when I stepped forward. A few actually went down to a knee, surprising me.

"Our differences are many, but our cause is one," I said, hoping to convey that the safety of the Arling was my first concern. The blond woman nodded with approval.

"Bann Esmerelle of Amaranthine, as is old custom, you have the honor of beginning," Varel began the fealty ceremony.

An older woman with a harsh look, and one of the nobles who'd looked down their nose at me, approached me. "I swear that I, Bann Esmerelle, will be faithful to the Arlessa in matters of life, limb, and earthly honor. Never will I bear arms against her or her heirs. So I say in the sight of the Maker." She curtsied and stepped away and the next noble in line made his oath.