It's Just Good Business!

"Did we miss sonething?"

Alex had come back with Senator Macladden and two lost boys in tow. Seamus and Adrian who'd been missing for so long, were with them. I wasn't hoping for good news because all of them were good at poker faces (never gonna play poker with them good). I was antsy and my nerves got the best of me.

"Where... (one hit on Adrian's shoulder)...the hell (one hit on Seamus shoulder) were you both? And you!! (poked my dreamy husband's dreamy chest) Where the hell were you? Do you know how nervous I was? "

" Not even married for a day and she's already nagging. Tough roads ahead boyyo ! "

" I wouldn't have it any other way Senator. "

What the bloody hell ? My husband who a day back, hated the man with a passion and the Senator who took out a hit on my husband were acting chummy. What kind of magic happened in an hour in the Father's office?

" I think she's going into shock. You'd better break it to her Alex or you might not get a honeymoon anytime soon."

"Babes look at me." I tried but was unsuccessful. Finally he had to do it for me. "Relax I haven't sold myself to the devil. It's fine. We're fine."

"How? "

" Well to quote' The Godfather' I made him a deal that he couldn't refuse. Plus a blast from the past is always good. I promise I'll tell you all about it. "

Apparently I wasn't the only one confused by the latest turn in events.

" Grandfather what's going on? "

" Well Ronald let's just say you've finally proved yourself. "

" What? Proved What? "

" Proved that you are a complete disgrace as my grandson. Trust me laddie if I didn't care about my reputation and our family's reputation I would be ripping you a new one right about now you slimy weasel. "

" I don't understand..... "

" Shut up and don't you dare utter a single word or I'll ll forget everything about my reputation and smack you right here. "

That shut him up quickly. I could understand that Ronald was a disappointment... Hell it was obvious as the sun in the sky. But the Senator accepting it in public was new and surprising.

" Senator Macladden what is going on?"

"And you! If I knew the level of depravity you and that fat arse over there were involved in.... I never would have let myself get involved with you. "

" Someone tell me I'm dreaming right now? "

" Same here chica..... I told you we should have gotten the popcorn. "

" Rhonda eatables are not allowed in the Church and plus how the hell were we supposed to guess this would've happened. "

" Honey you aren't dreaming. This is happening. And Cady, there is something known as sneaking. Even I feel like having popcorn. " Dad said.

" What the actual fuuu.....will you stop doing that! " You could guess what happened." How is this happening? "

" It's happening because I want it to happen. You wanted this mess to end. Well my dear wife this is my wedding gift to you. " Alex whispered in my ears and placed a sweet peck on my nape.

" You did this? But how? "

" Well lets just say it pays to have friends in high and low places. And don't worry this is permanent. The Senator is not going to kick up any storm and he will insure that even Ronald can't. "

" So it's over? It's finally over? "

" Yeah it's over. "

" Alex have I ever told you that I love you? "

" You have but I still like to hear it. Don't thank me. I know you want to but don't. This was just a minor thing."

"No its not minor. Don't you dare downplay this. You have done so much for me and you've had to deal with so much nonsense for that. Anyone else in your place wouldn't have stuck by me. You not only stayed but you were there in every step of the way. I love you and I promise that I'll stand by you in everything just like you did. "

" I stood by you because I love you. I stood by you because I would've been a fool to let go of you. My father once told me that the best things in life are never easy. There will always be difficulties. You are the best thing in my life and I wasn't going to let you slip by my fingers because of obstacles. I am here because I want to be here and I'll always be here. That I promise you. "

I guess I should be thankful to my mom and Ronald. Because if they hadn't created this mess, I wouldn't have turned to Alex in my desperation and we wouldn't be here. Falling in love was never part of the plan for me and yet I did. His persistence and his sensitivity triumphed. If someone would've told me around a month back, that I would marry Alexander Seymour I would've laughed.

Now, he's become as necessary as air for me. I can't live without him. I need him. I need his kisses. His dry sense of humor. His sarcasm and wit. I need his commanding presence. I need his hugs. I need his dates. I need my husband.

"Why are you looking at me like that? "

" Like what? "

"I don't know how to explain it but you look like the cat who has tasted the most expensive cream and wants more."

"I am sorry to interrupt your love fest but we have problems. " Adrian interrupted.

" What now? "

" Senator Mcdonald is apparently not happy with Senator Macladden's decision. "

***

" With all due respect, how could you go back on your words Senator Macladden? You promised and now I see you changing your tune at the last moment. "

" Unfortunately for you, I saw some light at the last moment. You are a risky venture and I don't bet on losing horses. Plus if I had known the history between you and that God awful female I would've kept miles away. "

" But you can't just switch sides at the last moment. "

" I can because we don't have a written agreement. I have to see where I stand to gain more. It's just good business you see. And besides the plan was a failure. It was all riding on my grandson's wedding to the daughter. But since that didn't happen I have to cut my losses. "

" And what about me? What about the deal you had with me? " I had no idea that my mother had her own deal with Senator Macladden. That kinda explains her overzealous attempts to get me married to Ronald.

" What about it? You were a bad investment on my part and now I am safe. All thanks to your daughter's foresight. And I much prefer the deal I have with her husband. I am sorry but I am in their camp now . "

" And what about my son? What about his dreams? " Mrs Dwight asked.

" Let's not talk about Ronald right now. Or I might forget decency and murder him in this very church." Senator Macladden instructed his hired gorillas to leave. "Now boys your job here is done. I no longer require your services and you may leave. The money will be wired in your account. Thank you for your time." The men holstered their weapons, nodded to the Senator and left.

"Since its all sorted out... Can we please continue my wedding?" My father asked.