Chapter 16

(A/N Okay, so I'm pretty sure previously I've said that updates on this story will be like, Mondays and Thursdays, or something like that, but I've changed my mind. They're going to be Sundays and Thursdays. Enjoy the chapter<3 )

Dean's POV

"G-goodbye?! What the hell do you mean?!" I had tears running down my face. Please... Please... Please don't let this happen. 

I heard a beep and I knew he had hung up on me. 

"No... No. No! NO!!" I ran out of my room and down the stairs until I was standing in front of Bobby and Ellen with tears running down my face. I was panting, and choking on sobs.

As soon as they saw me, they immediately rose with concerned looks on their faces. 

"What is it, Boy?!" 

"C-Cas..." Try as I might, I couldn't speak. I just collapsed on the ground, crying hysterically. Eventually, I got the words out. "I-I think Cas attemped s-suicide..." More crying.

"Do you have an idea of where he might be?!" 

I nodded. Bobby grabbed me and dragged me outside to his pickup truck. He asked me to describe where I thought Cas was, so I did. "I heard rushing water. It sounded fast. There were no cars." Bobby knew where to drive. He told me to call 911, so I did.

Speaking was difficult because I assumed I had just lost my best friend, so Bobby took the phone.

"My name is Bobby Singer." He must've been answering the questions.

"Yes. My, uh son Dean, has a friend, Castiel-" He looked at me for a last name. "Novak..." 

"Dean's friend Castiel Novak, and Dean thinks Castiel has attempted suicide." There was a pause. "We're sure it's near the dam." Another pause. "Thank you very much."

We didn't speak, but eventually Bobby broke the silence. "Everything will be okay, Dean. I promise you. It will be okay."

"For once can you please not lie?! No. It isn't going to be alright because either I lost my best friend to suicide, or he'll be thrown into a mental institution. So no, this time, it isn't going to be okay."

We got there in about five minutes, and I couldn't see Cas. I quickly got out of the car, and went to the edge of the dam. 

"Dean, you stay back!!" 

I looked at Bobby. "I'm fine."

I could hear sirens nearing, and then I could hear Bobby talking to the paramedics and the police officers. I continued to search for Cas' body. I felt the tears fall again, as I spotted it. I pointed and screamed, "I see him!" Immediately the authorities ran over, grabbing the stretcher. 

Within ten minutes, they got him up and into the ambulance, but despite my asking, they wouldn't tell me anything! They simply told me, "We're taking him to the hospital, and there you will await news of his condition." 

They left, and I couldn't handle it anymore. I dropped to the ground and I began screaming. Screaming bloody murder, with hot angry tears falling off my cheeks and staining my shirt. 

I felt Bobby's arms close around me, as I sat there shaking. But you know what? This time, I didn't try to stop it, because I felt like I had a reason to cry. I felt like it was okay.

After a few minutes later, I gathered myself together and got up so Bobby and I could drive to the hospital. 

The hospital was about a twenty minute drive from our current location. I did my best to keep it in silence, but I felt like thanks were in order. 

"Bobby, I wanted to thank you for taking me here. I doubt anyone would have found his body if you hadn't." I looked over at him and did my best to force a smile, though, with what I just witnessed, it was difficult.

He reached over and put a hand on my shoulder. "You don't need to thank me. I would have done it in a heartbeat."

We reached the hospital soon, and as soon as we got there, it kind of felt like my heart had dropped in my chest. It was so... so depressing. 

People walked around like zombies. Their cheeks were sunken, they had bags under their eyes, they were slumped over. Almost everyone, who was a patient, looked like that. We went to the desk and Bobby asked which room Cas was in. We were told he was in room 128.

I practically ran down the halls, disregarding when people told me to slow down. 

I finally found the room. As I walked closer, there was a nurse. She asked who I was.

"My name is Dean Winchester. Castiel is my best friend. Please I really need to see him. Is he okay?"

The nurse gave me a sympathetic look, and said, "We're not exactly sure yet. He's currently in a comatose state. He has a few broken ribs. He's gotten x-rays, and they're not too bad. They'll mend by themselves. You can go in and see him. We still need to contact his family." She tried to walk away, but I grabbed her arm and stopped her.

"This may sound cheesy, but I've heard that when someone is in a coma, they are aware of their surroundings, they just can't respond. Do you believe that to be true? If speaking to an almost lifeless body of my best friend will make the chances of him waking up greater, then I'll definitely do it."

She smiled at me. "I admire your hopefulness. And yes, I do believe it to be true. Even if it isn't then you can say all the things you've wanted to say, but you didn't have the guts to say it when they're conscious."

I smiled back at her, saying thank you.

I looked behind me to see Bobby sitting in the waiting room. I told him he could go back, but he refused, saying he would wait for me, but said I could take all the time I needed. 

I nodded, and then walked into the room, taking a deep breath.