Episode 30: nothing to lose part 2

Start from the beginning

Anne hanged up the phone. She knew that Amy would blame her for this after hearing that her mom knew about the plans. But she also knew that this would be a positive thing for Amy right now. To be surrouned by people who love her.

Anne got into the car.
"Finally, mom. I thought you were not coming anymore or something? Was there a problem because i saw you on the phone?" Amy asked, not sure what her mom might say.
Anne shook her head. "Nothing's wrong. I... Uhm. I called the car dealership to know if they... If they pay me the gas money back?" Anne said, uncertain of what she just said.
Amy laughed. "What are you, dad?"
Anne smiled, mealymouthed. "I guess i am.

---

"So when is Amy gonna be here?" Ricky asked.
"So now you care about her?" George asked.
Ricky looked confused. "What do you mean? I will always care about her she's my son's mother and she's carrying my child."
George's look changed. "I tried to talk this sense into you for months now. And now you suddenly realize that she's carrying your baby?"
"Okay, whatever George. And i know i haven't been the best ex-fiancé i could. But i do care."
George put his hands in his pockets and frowned. "To answer your question." George looked at his watch. "Amy and Anne will be here in about 10 minutes."
Ricky nodded and walked away into the kitchen. Before he might say something he'll regret later. George was mad at him, for not standing up earlier. For being uninvolved in Amy's life. And George blames him that Amy ran away to New York.

"Do we need something else?" Kathleen asked, while she was holding plates in her hand.
"No. We just have to wait until she's here."
Kathleen nodded. She saw how nervous George looked. "What's wrong?"
George shook his head. "I don't think Amy wants all of this. I don't think she's gonna be happy about this. Since she's hormonal, moody and all of that crap."
Kathleen squeezed George's shoulders. "It doesn't mean that Anne told you that she's moody and nervous about this that she won't be happy. I'm sure she's going to appreciate this. That she's going to love all of the work you did for her."
George smiled. "You always know the right things to say."

"I think they're here!" Ricky shouted from the kitchen.
George ran into the other side of the living room and turned the lights of. Everyone else was hiding in the living room.

"Okay, Amy. We're finally home." Anne said.
They were at the front door. Anne took her key and unlocked the door.

Amy's nervosity changed into relief. "Yes, finally. I'm so tired. I can't wait to get into bed. And i'm so happy that i will not be seeing Ricky today so that i can prepare for tomorrow..."

Amy couldn't finish her sentences because when she got into the house, the lights went on and a loud 'SURPRISE' was waiting for her. She couldn't believe what she was seeing.
She wasn't sure if she should be angry or not? She didn't see this coming. She looked at her mom who's face turned into a worry.
Amy looked around. She saw a huge flag in the hallway with 'welcome home Amy' written on it.
She looked at her dad who was standing there with Kathleen, Tom and... Ashley?!
Amy's nervous and surprised look changed into a smile. Sure, she felt angry when she first walked in. Because she wanted to get settled in first and she wanted to take a long bath. She was so tired, and now people were standing in her living room. But she soon realized that this was for her. And only for her.
She walked into the living room where she hugged her dad.
"Thanks dad."
George smiled. "So you like the surprise?"
Amy nodded. "Yes, i do."

"Hi, sis."
Amy smiled. "Ashley. I can't believe i'm saying this but i really missed you. But why are you here? I thought you were in Italy?"
Ashley nodded. "I was in Italy. Until i heard the news that you are having another baby. No one told me until dad invited me to this 'welcome home party' last week."

Even though they were not that close as sisters and they fought a lot. But she was so happy to have her sister back in her life. To have someone she completely trusts to lean on.

Ashley smiled. "I can say that i'm very surprised to have heard the news that my sister is having another baby with her ex?"
Amy nodded insecure. "I know. It was a big surprise for me too. But it is what it is. I'm just so happy that you're back. Which being said. How long are you staying?"
Ashley shook her head. "I don't know. As long as i want to, i guess."
Ashley looked at the other side of the living room. "I think someone needs to talk to you?" She asked, while she looked at Ricky.
Amy turned around and saw how everyone in the room were talking, laughing and eating snacks. She saw how Ricky was looking at her from the other side of the room.
She sighed. This moment was the moment she was afraid to face.
She pulled herself together and put her thoughts aside. She walked over to Ricky.
"Hi." She said, uncertain about the situation.
"Hi." Ricky responded back. "It's so good to see you Amy." He said, smiling.
Amy nodded. It felt like she couldn't speak anymore. That she couldn't bring any words out of her mouth.
She looked around. "So... Uhm... where's John?"

"He fell asleep. I couldn't keep him awake any longer. He's sleeping upstairs." Ricky sighed. Since no words seemed to get out of Amy's mouth.
"Do you want to talk somewhere privately?" He asked.

"No." She responded back. "But i know i have to at some point."
Ricky nodded. "Let's talk upstairs."

Amy and Ricky walked out of the crowdy living room were everyone was having fun and everyone seemed to be happy.
She was walking next to Ricky in the hallway. She catched Ricky's eyes looking at her pregnant belly.
When they got upstairs, they walked into the room where John was sleeping. When she walked in, a familiar feeling rushed over her.

Ricky and Amy were standing next to each other looking at John. Amy placed her hand on John's head. "I missed you, John." She said.
Amy didn't really want to let go of John, because she knew that if she let go of him. She had to talk to him.
"Don't all of this seem familiar to you?" Ricky asked. "We're here in this room. John's asleep in his bed. And you seem broken still..."
Amy nodded. "This was the moment i got out of this house... This was the moment i ran away to New York, months ago."
Ricky squeezed Amy's shoulder. When he touched her shoulder a positive feeling rushed over Amy's body. Down her spine.
"I know why you did what you did." He said. "I understand why you ran away to New York."
Amy looked confused. "You do?" She asked, not sure if Ricky was playing pretend.
"Yes. I do." He sighed. "It's understandable why you walked out. It's my fault Amy. I know that... It's because of me why you wanted to get out."
Amy shook her head. "Not only because of you. But also because i had a feeling i had to go through this all alone. That i had to give up on my dreams again... It's really selfish, i know that now."
Ricky took a folded piece of paper out of his pocket. "You were selfish Amy! But so was i. We both were selfish. We both acted like kids with a kid." He opened the folded piece of paper. "When your mom decided to go to New York for you, i was taking John's stuff in the living room and i found this letter there." He gave the letter to Amy.
Amy seemed to be surprised by the letter. Because it was the letter she wrote months ago when she realized she had to give up on her New York dream. The letter where she blamed Ricky for everything.
She couldn't believe the letter got into Ricky's hands.
"When i found the letter. I read it. And from that moment on i realized how much i've hurted you in the past. And even in this present day. This letter was a wake up call for me. And then i had to decide. Live a lie with Clementine, or face the truth and help you in any way i can." He sighed and looked disppointed in himself. "I know i chose late... But better late than never!"
Amy's nervosity she had since she got into that plane turned around. She felt relieved and a huge weight fell from her shoulders.
"I'm not asking you to be with me, or to marry me or whatever. I'm just asking you to give me a chance to be the best dad i can be for John and this baby. Let me be involved within this pregnancy. Because i wasn't involved when you were pregnant with John. And i wanna make it up in any way i can. So please let me be involved."
Amy smiled. She couldn't believe what words came out of Ricky's mouth.
"Yes, Ricky." She responded.

For the first time, Amy felt ready to face the future. She felt ready to have this baby. And she felt ready to change her dream.