Chapter 5

After getting up to my alarm I dialed my boss, Mike and held our early morning conference call.  We discussed the supplier I would be visiting today.  Nathan was a supplier I had dealt with for some time now and we had met numerous times at conventions and trade shows as well as his visiting us in Oregon.  He was a friend and colleague.  This would be an easy meeting to have for the first day.  I finished my call with Mike and walked into the bathroom to take my shower.  After finishing my shower, drying my hair and applying my make, I picked my clothing for my meeting on Wilshire.  I grabbed my laptop and briefcase and went downstairs.  I was dressed in a black pencil skirt, white silk shirt and high white and black heels, with a black jacket and simple gold necklace and earrings. Luckily there was a coffee shop just a little walk from the hotel.  Rockpaper Coffee, a cute little coffee shop that also served breakfast and various fruit smoothies, teas as well as doing lunch menus.  I needed my bone dry cappuccino with lots of foam and caramel sauce this morning.  It was all Harry's fault.  Not to mention I had dreams about him all night which didn't help me feel rested this morning.  I couldn't get his image out of my mind or dreams all night.  The texts we shared also did not help me sleep. 

I stood in line and ordered my coffee and grabbed the paper.  When my coffee was ready I sat down at a table and began reading the local paper. I perused the newspaper and felt as though I was being watched.  I looked around but didn't see anyone in particular in the shop staring so I just figured it was me and went back to reading the paper.  I was just tired from lack of sleep I told myself.

Looking at my wristwatch, I figured it would be best to take my coffee back to the hotel and drive to my supplier's facility.  I hated being late and I knew traffic would be terrible if I waited any longer or if I didn't take side streets I was familiar with to avoid the freeway.  I grabbed the coffee and walked back to the hotel.  I got into my car and drove to the company.

After having a very good and productive meeting, I invited my supplier Nathan out for lunch.  Company trip, company card, lunch was a given.  We walked out to my car and headed down Wilshire to find a restaurant and have something to eat.

We drove to Ca Brea on La Brea.  It is an Italian restaurant with really good food.  Wow, I was really going to have to get in the gym when I returned to my hotel.  Oh boy, Italian food twice now already and it was only day one with suppliers. 

We were seated at our table and we were chit chatting when I couldn't shake the feeling of being watched again.  I looked around but still nothing seemed out of the ordinary. 

"What's up, Emily?" Nathan asked.

"Nothing, it's the strangest thing but I could swear I feel like someone is watching me.  It's got to be the lack of sleep last night and the cappuccino I had this morning." I laughed it off.

"You need to spend more time down here, you know?  If you were as smart as I know you are, you'd leave that company of yours and work for me.  You'd be making a hell of a lot more money and have this wonderful weather." He tried coaxing me.

"Yeah, plus earthquakes, smog, horrible traffic....No thanks.  I love it in Portland.  I lived in Los Angeles for long enough and am very happy with my present employer thank you very much!"  I smacked his shoulder.  Nathan and I had a great rapport as we'd been to events together. The aviation industry is really a small, tight knit community considering how many owners, operators and repair stations there were all over the country.  We could sit and laugh like old friends and still discuss business without skipping a beat.

"Yeah, yeah, well when you finally have had enough of the rain and freezing rain in the winter, you just call me and you have a position here." He said winking at me.