26: The Strange Elf's Warning

Start from the beginning

"Yes, I was completely confused by her presence. I don't know why she was there." It wasn't exactly a lie. I didn't know why she had sided with the Architect. "But your Calling will still be a long way off, I believe."

"And yours?" Nathaniel had caught that I didn't say "our".

"Mine may be long before yours. I was in a Blight after all." Not to mention my taint. I had no doubt that would shorten my life more than the others, even Alistair.

Nathaniel could see that I was done with the subject and changed it. "Will you ever need to switch bodies, Justice?" Of all the topics, it had to be Justice.

"I did not wish to possess this body. Why would I switch to another?"

"You might need to. Unless you wish to look even more obviously like a corpse."

"I... would prefer not to think of it...." Justice fell silent and Anders proceeded to pick at Velanna.

~~~

As we passed into Amaranthine, I saw the strange white-haired Elf again speaking with Amaranthine's constable. I'd seen him a couple times in the Crown and Lion. I only assumed he had a room there. He had tattoos on his chin, neck, and arms like I've never seen. Our eyes briefly met before he turned his attention to Constable Aidan again and I continued on, pushing down my curiosity.

We found Mervis again and he looked hopeful at me. "You're back!" he cried. "Have you any news?"

"I've dealt with the problem," I reported. "The killings should stop now." I didn't mention that one of my own people was behind the attacks. Relations with humans were still strained and I was sure that news would only cause resentment and backfire badly on me.

"Really? Oh, that's wonderful news!" He reached into a bag next to him. "I promised a donation, didn't I? Here... take this. With the Merchants' Guild's compliments." He held out a purse towards me but I didn't move to take it.

"Keep it. Do something for the families of the slain."

Mervis looked to be taken completely by surprise. "You are... very kind, Commander. I shall do as you ask. Maker smile on you always."

I turned away to see the approving looks on Anders and Nathaniel's faces and a grateful look on Velanna's. "Let's go find Nida."

~~~

The innkeeper at the Crown and Lion told us that Nida was out and would inform us of when she returned. Which meant we would have to wait for Creators knew how long. Drinks were ordered and I informed Oghren at the first sign of a bar brawl I was throwing him out of the tavern myself, much to Anders' amusement.

"How do the Templars always find you, Anders?" Nathaniel asked after a couple of drinks.

"Incredibly angry. That's how they find me."

"There must be some trick to it, surely?"

"They began recruiting women. The male Templars never stopped to ask for directions."

I laughed. Nathaniel didn't seem to think it was funny. "You're impossible to talk to."

"Give him a few more drinks and I'm sure he won't shut up," I teased.

Nathaniel did laugh at that. "I actually believe that."

I allowed my Wardens a well-deserved break. I watched them banter back and forth as I leaned back with my leg propped upon the table, Duncan's journal in my hands.