Chapter Forty-One

I wake up to someone softly shaking me. I open my eyes to see Samuel. I sit up as he sit in front of me. Aliena is sitting in the chair across from me, the same place she's been in since before I fell asleep.

Finding out that I knew her brother shocked her. But finding out he's a vampire just like her and she'll be seeing him again for the first time in years, that's the real shocker. A tear slides down her cheek and she quickly wipes it away.

I don't want to interrupt her so I turn my attention back to Samuel. Never in a million years did I think I would see him again. I'm just grateful he is nothing like his brother.

Samuel has changed since the last time I seen him. He's more toned, his once long brown hair is now short. He has a posture of someone full of confidence. He had on a red and blue uniform with gold lining. Everything about him screamed king.. He looked like a king, except something is missing.

"Where is your crown?"

He sits back in his chair and lay his right leg on his knee. "I don't need to always wear a crown whenever I leave the palace. A king does not need to flaunt everything he has."

"You were never the flashy one." I smile.

He nods. "Exactly." He messes with the material of the chair. "Do you want to know how I became king?"

"I think I already know how, and why."

His left brow raises. "Is that so?"

"Yes."

"Well let's hear it." He clasps his hand under his chin.

"Okay." I look over at Aliena and see she's fully in tuned to pur conversation. "You found out Garrick killed your father. You loved him despite everything that happened including the affair he had with your mother."

He gestures a hand for me to continue.

"Garrick was going to become king and you, along with a lot of other vampires, knew that Garrick was not fit to be king. But you were one of the few people who knew how he got the crown."

"You were also one of the few and it cost you your life."

"Yeah." I clear my throat.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to rehash old wounds. Please, continue."

An old wound it is. A wound that I would have to live with forever. But one that I don't have to be afraid of.

"It's fine." My voice came out a bit raspy. "Well you wanted justice. But the true reason was because you knew that he would soon come for you and have you executed. But you got to the royal committee first."

He shakes his head. "You're very good at reading people Azia. I give you that." He smiles.

I shrug. " I know." I look over Samuel before meeting his curious gaze. "You've never feared him."

"I thrive off fear Azia." He said, assuring me of the possible consequences of his actions.

Samuel was a sweet guy. One of the few good ones left. A lot of guys fear Garrick and he does have so people out there on his side. Samuel seems unfazed by this. This could be what they kingdom needed.

Claudia comes and take a seat next to Samuel. She starts buckling up. "We're about to land."

If my heart was still beating, I'm sure it would have burst at this very moment. I didn't know what to expect. Are they mad? Will they abandoned the way I abandoned them.

Claudia taps my knee. "You'll be fine. Trust me."

Aliena looks a me, wide-eyed. She was more paranoid then I was. I pat the seat next to me. She sits down and buckles up. I grab hold of her hand and she squeezes it.