eighteen-goodnight socialite

"i feel your poison in my veins. corroding, eat away my brains. i've told you fifteen thousand times, that's one hundred eighty times, if I can't have you then no one can."
~The Brobecks

Chapter Eighteen- Goodnight Socialite

The week went by surprisingly slowly for me. Lola and I stuck together everyday at lunch and took off, just the two of us, after school. I had confessed to her that the whole 'love triangle' situation, as she put it, was driving me crazy so Lola being the kind hearted person she is steered clear of them with me.

"Are you sure you don't want to talk to either of them about it?" Lola had asked me one lunchtime. "You know,
To sort things out."

I had thought about it but ended up shaking my head and telling her that I'd rather stay away from both of them for now. One thing that bothered me though was what she said about Tom and I.

"I'm glad you're dating him." Lola told me with a genuine smile. "He deserves someone amazing like you."

I awkwardly asked her if she liked him as well but she just laughed and said that she'd been close friends with him for a while and have seen him get his heart broken too many times over the years. That was all. It made sense because they're neighbours and also went to the same primary.

This in fact made my situation a whole lot harder though. Because I will be hurting Lola as well now if I end up hurting Tom. But keyword: if.

So the rest of the week went by uneventful with the two idiots acting like immature five year olds (Tom came to go to English with me when Hunter insisted he'd come with us and they wouldn't stop throwing insults at each other the whole time) and Lauren avoiding us like the plague. Things were not looking good. But I had faith in Hunter and Tom to put aside whatever it is that they were pissed off about and come together tonight for Lauren's sake.

I decided to order pizza for us to have for dinner since the party started later at night. We arranged to meet at mine at about four o'clock so they were supposed to arrive any second.

And sure enough I heard the doorbell ring. I opened the door to see Tom and Lola beaming.

"Hey guys! Come in." I said opening the door wider for them to get through. As Lola greeted me and went inside, Tom paused to envelope me in a hug.

"I missed you this week." He whispered into my hair. I was about to point out that it was kind of his fault that I was avoiding him, he continued. "I'm sorry for acting so childish."

I pulled away and frowned, "Yeah you better be." I said but broke out into a grin and gave him a small kiss on the cheek. "You're forgiven. But please don't start it again tonight."

After he promised, we all entered inside and chatted dor what seemed like five or so minutes when the bell rang again. It was either Hunter or our pizza.

I walked over to open it again and saw Hunter.

"How disappointing, I was expecting the pizza guy." I joked but then noticed the boxes in his hands.

He raised an eyebrow, "What if I am the pizza guy?" He said as he handed me the pizza boxes that were in his hands and walked inside.

I followed him into the kitchen confused, "But how? You're not actually working at the pizza shop right?" I asked him. That seemed to amuse him as he let out a laugh. I hadn't heard that from him in a while and I couldn't help but feel somewhat happy that I was the reason.

"No, Katie." He assured me. "I just bumped into him right outside your house so I just decided to get them for you."

"Wait, I'll pay you back then." I told him as I started looking through the cabinets for spare change when Hunter stopped me by gently grabbing my hand. His actions of course didn't fail to make my skin feel tingly where he touched it. I turned to face him.