eight-stay with me

"these nights never seem to go to plan. i don't want you to leave, will you hold my hand? won't you stay with me? cause you're all i need. this ain't love it's clear to see but darling stay with me."
~Sam Smith

Chapter Eight- Stay With Me

"Okay Katie, are you ready for this?" Lauren asked me with worry painted on her face.

Hunter, Tom, Lauren and Lola were over at my house helping me calm down and muster up the courage that I was so lacking right at that moment. I was literally on the edge of the sofa, cold sweat forming on my forehead and fists clenched so tightly that I noticed they were turning an unnatural shade of white.

Hunter rolled his eyes looking totally chilled out, "She'll be fine. It's not like she's going to going to go kill him."

Lola narrowed her eyes at him, "She may as well be! She'll be breaking his heart." She pointed out, slamming a hand down on my coffee table. I was about to tell her to go easy on my furniture when Tom interrupted.

"Wait, wait. What are we talking about again?" He asked as he came in from my kitchen with a coke in his hand. I slapped his arm because he knew very well that that was my last coke. I swear they all treated my house like it was theirs. Except for Lola of course who was too much of a neat freak to dirty anything and too polite to eat or drink without my permission.

I didn't blame Tom for being confused. Even I don't know how I got myself into this situation. I just casually mentioned to everyone at the lunch table one day that I may have lost my feelings towards Mike and they just pounced. All of them. God, it was like they couldn't wait to get rid of Mike, out of both my life and theirs. And now, they were prepping me before I went over to Mike's and did the real thing. It was nerve wracking and they sure as hell weren't making it any easier by arguing.

Lauren shot Lola a look, "Maybe not bring up the fact that this will probably crush him?"  She then gasped at her own words and looked at me, alarmed and waving her arms about. "I mean, no! He's probably a low life scum who'll find another fuck buddy in two seconds flat!" She exclaimed. Lola put her head in her hands and groaned.

I laughed nervously, "You're not really helping Lauren." I told her. "Plus, I seriously don't think he's like that." I said which earned me a look from Hunter.

"Well, put that fact aside for a minute." Lola said, coming to sit next to me. She placed a comforting hand on top of my lap. "Do you have feelings for him or not?"

I looked up to see all four faces looking at me expectantly as if I was a mother bird holding their food and they were the starving babies. I took a deep breath and told them my answer.

+++

I stood outside Mike's house waiting for him to open up after I rang the bell twice. Why did I let myself be roped into this situation? But the again, I had to do this in person because that's what Mike deserved at the least, not some shitty text breakup.

A few seconds later a happy looking Mike opened the door, "Oh, hey babe! You didn't tell me you were dropping in." He said with a grin. It made me even guiltier knowing that I'd be wiping that grin right off his face in a matter of seconds.

I nodded, "I know and I'm really sorry."  I knew I wasn't apologising about that though. "I actually needed to talk to you."

After he let me in, we walked into his living room. He slumped himself down into the couch and patted the spot beside him. I sat down but a little further away from him.

"So, what's up?" He asked calmly, not having a clue what I was about to drop on him next.

I fidgeted with my fingers and started bouncing my knees up and down nervously, "I-I came here because I thought..." I trailed off as I locked eyes with Mike. He looked a little worried now. I decided to just get it over and done with. "I thought that it would be best if we just stayed friends."