fourteen-someone new

"would things be easier if there was a right way? oh honey, there is no right way. and so i'll fall in love just a little bit, everyday with someone new"
~Hozier

Chapter Fourteen- Someone New

Tom pulled away quickly after he kissed me. And after I kissed back. Shit, shit, shit.

"I-I'm so sorry, I don't know what I was thinking." Tom stuttered nervously. He put both his hands on either side of his head and started pacing around my room. "Shit, I'm sorry. I couldn't control myself and... Oh god what have I done."

I bit my lip, feeling a bit hurt. Great, everyone who kisses me regrets it. Am I that bad?

Tom looked at me his eyes wide, "No! You're amazing Katie" He almost shouted. Oh, I said my thoughts out loud. Whoops. "I didn't regret it just... You like Hunter and have this messed up situation with him and-"

"I don't like Hunter." I cut him off. I looked down at the ground. "Yes, part of me might still have feelings for him but I'm slowly trying to get over him. I can't ever like a person who is able to hurt me like that."

Tom gave me a sympathetic look and sat down next to me again, "I don't know what he said, or what he did." He said. "But I think you just need a bit of space from each other that's all. The Hunter I know wouldn't hurt you like that."

"But he did." I snapped bitterly. Tom sighed. He was obviously confused as to why his best friend would to that to me. Trust me I was surprised too. But I guess people aren't how they seem.

"So," I mumble quietly, trying to break the silence. "What's going to happen with us?"

It was a question that I genuinely wanted answered. He kissed me, I kissed back, he pulled away but said he didn't regret it. And I'm trying to get over Hunter.

Tom grabbed my hand, "Hunter's my best friend, Katie. And as much as I liked that kiss, I can't do anything until everyone's on better terms with each other." He breathed out. I let go of his hand and wrapped an arm around around him.

I rested my head on his shoulder, "I know."

I felt a little guilty since my feelings for Tom were nothing compared to the ones I had for Hunter. I wasn't even sure that I liked Tom in that way. But I could learn to love him right? He's the one who took care of me and made me feel safe. I was just going to have to get over Hunter completely. Easy.

+++

The next day, I forced myself to go to school. I couldn't stay at home forever and taking more days off was going to make it harder to go back.

"You ready?" Tom asked me, concern in his eyes. I laughed and nodded. I grabbed my bag and keys and walked out the door.

I was expecting everyone to stare at me as I entered the school gates but then I remembered that no one knew what happened. It might've been a big deal for our group but no one else had a clue what was going on.

Lauren and Lola were waiting at our usual meeting place in the morning and came running up to me.

"Katie, why haven't you been answeitn any of our calls and texts!" Lauren exclaimed as she gave me a massive hug that probably crushed one or two of my bones.

She pulled away and pointed at Tom accusingly, "You too. You were supposed to be keeping us updated on how Katie was going you asshole!"

Tom shrugged and gave her a lazy grin, "Whoops?"

"Don't worry we have Hunter an earful for hurting you." Lola huffed. "What did he actually do though? He wouldn't tell us what happened."

I shrug, "He just basically said that he hates me and doesn't want to see me." I told them, keeping it vague. Thankfully I was saved by the bell and everyone headed to class.