ten-to get to know you

"i'd love to get to know you. i'd really love to sit you down, talk about our little lives. and contemplate the future, what of it we'd like to see. please, lend yourself to me."
~Winterbourne

Chapter Ten- To Get to Know You

I didn't realise that I fell asleep until my eyes snapped open and the room was pitch black, the only light coming from the TV that had been left on. I also realised that I still had my head rested on Hunter's chest and he still had his arms wrapped around me. Only now, he was sound asleep. I slowly tried to pry his strong arms off me. I succeeded but woke him up in the process.

He stirred a little and his eyes fluttered open, "Morning, Katie." He mumbled sleepily. But then he snapped open his eyes properly. "Wait what happened?"

"One, it's night. Two, you fell asleep and three, I feel much better thanks for asking." I said satcastically.

He rolled his eyes, "I can tell. Your sarcasm is up and running again at full charge. What time is it by the way?" He asked.

I gestured back at the clock on the wall, "It's currently 10:30. PM by the way in case you're too dumb to figure it out." I told him.

He sighed, "Right, well since you're feeling better I better get going." He said as he stood up. Panic coursed through me as I felt an urge to pull him back down and make him stay with me forever. I stayed silent.

He studied my face carefully, "Katie? Is everything alright?"

I nodded, "Yeah, thanks for today. Goodnight." I smiled even though I felt sad that he was leaving. But I knew he couldn't stay forever.

"Or do you want me to stay?" Hunter asked me, a small smirk playing on his lips. God, he was enjoying this! The asshole.

"N-No! Of course I don't you jerk. Go home already." I huffed as I crossed my arms in front of my chest.

"Whatever, Katie. See you on Saturday." He said as he walked towards the door.

I hesitated before running after him, "Wait, why not tomorrow? We still have one more day of school you know."

He opened the door and stood on the front porch, "Take another day off to rest. You can never be too sure." And with that he walked off into the night.

I wanted so badly to ask him if he could come and spend the day looking after me again. But my pride stopped me. Or maybe it was fear.

+++

My Friday started off with me hoping that Hunter would show up again but my hopes were crushed when he didn't. I spent the rest of the day watching weird infomercials on TV or weird daytime shows like Dr Phil. I soon got bored so I decided to listen to some music up in my bedroom. But my phone buzzed with a text stopping my music. I checked to see that it was from Hunter.

From: Hunter

Don't forget to take your medicine.

I frowned at his text. He sounded more like a dad than anything. I felt stupid for feeling excited that he texted me. I texted him back, irritated by his text and the fact that he stopped my music.

To: Hunter

I know how to take care of myself. Leave me alone.

But as soon as I hit send, I felt a little guilty. The last thing I wanted was for him to leave me alone. But I guess I was just mad at him for not showing up today which I can't blame him for. I sighed. Ever since I realised I liked him, as more than a friend, I have been trying to push him away. What was wrong with me? All I wanted to do was be with him. To talk about everything that mattered and everything that didn't. My secrets, his secrets. I wanted him to feel the same about me.