Truth or Dare: Chapter 19

Start from the beginning

“Well, it’s becau-- never mind.”  Ever drifted off, avoiding my glance.  I grabbed her shoulders and violently shook them.  That has got to be the twentieth time I’ve gotten that ‘Well, it’s becau-- never mind’ phrase.

“Tell.  Me.”  I demanded, looking at her in the eyes.

“Look, I have to go to the library,”  Ever mumbled, rushing off in the opposite direction of the library.  Shaking my head in irritation and disbelief, I headed off to Mr. Pophead’s classroom.  Sure, it was still early in the morning, but at least there I would find some sort of peace and quiet.

From the way everyone was going on, it was like Ethan was some sort of celebrity.

Which, I assure you, he is not, as far as I’m concerned.

“Early to class today, Kylie.”  I looked up at Mr. Pophead, who was already at his desk, sifting through some papers.

“Yea, I was wondering whether I can stay here until the bell rings.”  I blushed, trying to ignore the fact that I was in a room alone with a hot teacher.  I shook my head, embarrassed by the thought I currently possessed.  “I read too many books.”  I declared, before realizing I said that out loud.

Mr. Pophead looked up and gave me a peculiar glance.  “That’s a good thing, isn’t it?  And feel free to take a seat.”  He motioned around the empty classroom.  I nodded my thanks and sat down in my regular seat, glad to escape the clamor.  Laying down my head, I wondered how the heck could I be involved in something like this.  It just wasn’t possible or more like highly unlikely.  Back in Vegas, I’ve always sort of been in the background with all my friends.  I mean, sure, Dylan and Elena’s good looks drew some attention but never like this before.  

“Hey,”  a soft voice came from behind me.  Raising my head, I smiled feebly at Chez who was looking at me concernedly.  “I thought I might find you here.  You alright?”

“Better than ever,”  I said sarcastically.

“I’m sorry about that,”  she smiled sympathetically.  “I heard what everyone was saying in the hallway, and I’d like for you to know I was getting the exact same treatment.  Everyone was asking ‘What did Kylie and Ethan do?’ and etcetera.”

“I just don’t get it,”  I frowned, upset that Chez had to deal with the same problem.  “Why is it such a big deal?”

“Well, it’s becau--”

“Don’t you dare never mind me.”  I glared at her, seeing the word about to form in her mouth.

“I’m sorry,”  Chez shrugged at me sympathetically, avoiding making eye contact.  “But I bet you’ll find out soon enough.”

“Soon enough couldn’t come ‘soon enough’,”  I snarled angrily.  “Just.  Tell.  Me.”  I grabbed her by the shoulders, ignoring Mr. Pophead’s questioning look he was giving us from his desk.

“I can’t,”  she apologized, jerking away from me.

“What did he do,”  I felt like I was going to go mad any second.  Why couldn’t anyone just spill the beans?  I thought, frustrated that I wasn‘t able to find out. “Threaten you?”

Chez looked up at me, her eyes betraying nothing.  “Look, Ethan wants to tell you himself when its time, okay?”

“So he did threaten you guys,”  I concluded, feeling confused.

Chez looked away from me, “No.”

Sighing in frustration, I slumped back down to my desk again.  At that moment the bell rang.  I will find out what it is,  I silently swore, taking out my planner and writing down what Mr. Pophead had on the board.  No matter what it takes, I will find out.