Outside The Lines {21}

Start from the beginning

                I stepped forward, holding his hand in mine. “Dimitri, I am so sorry about yesterday. But I will do absolutely anything to make it up to you.”

                “One woe doth tread upon another’s heel, so fast they follow,” he quoted, gently brushed my bangs out of my eyes. He pulled his hand out of mine. “Do you really want to make it up to me?”

                “Yes,” I said eagerly. “Yes, I do. I’ll do anything. Just name it, Dimitri.”

                “If you really want to make it up to me, then move on. Find someone else,” he said.

                He turned to walk away and my mouth dropped open. I reached out, grabbing his arm and spinning him around to face me. I slapped him as hard as I could.

                “That was rude,” he said, looking unfazed.

                “This isn’t you, Dimitri. This depressed person. You’re not even dressing like yourself! I know I screwed up big time, but I’m trying. I’m willing to do whatever it takes to get you back and make it up to you. I’m not going to leave you and find someone else. I don’t’ want anyone else. I want you. I love you. I’ll keep trying to win you back for the rest of my life if I have to. So you might as well give in now,” I said.

                “You say that now, but you don’t mean it. You’ll tire eventually. You should know by now that I’m very obstinate, Theo,” he said, giving me the same tired smile as yesterday.

                “Stop it. You never call me Theo,” I said weakly.

                “I’m giving you what you wanted. You always asked me to call you Theo,” he said with a shrug.

                “Can you ever forgive me?” I asked him.

                He drew me close to his body. “There’s nothing to forgive, Theo. You just made your feelings clear. How could I ever get mad at you for that?” He pressed his lips to my temple. “I’m not disappointed in you. I’m disappointed that I was wrong. I thought you loved me enough to be open, and I was wrong. I don’t hold that against you. So I apologize for giving you that impression.”

                “Can’t we just get back together? One more chance? Please?” I practically begged.

                “No. Please don’t ask again, Theo. My answer won’t change.” He placed his hand on my cheek, searching my eyes. He had his rings back on today, I noticed. “I’m sorry. But I’m doing this for you. You may hate me for it, but in the end, you’ll be happier.”

                He let his hand fall back to his side and turned. I watched him leave the room slowly. Not his usual optimistic, cocky strut. Just a sad, slow exit.

                The door shut behind him as he left, and I slumped against the wall, wrapping my arms around myself. He wasn’t going to forgive me. I had really lost Dimitri.

                The door opened, but I didn’t bother looking up. I felt a hand on my shoulder, and finally forced my eyes to drag away from the floor.

                “Come on. We’re late to class,” Oliver said.

                “I don’t want to go to class. Can we just go?” I asked.

                “Thalia figured you’d want to leave. She said she’s going to stay here and try to talk to Dimitri about it,” he said, leading me out of the classroom.