27.

I took a deep breath as Derek opened the doors to the van

I took a deep breath as Derek opened the doors to the van. My hands slightly shook at my sides as I thought about what we were about to face.

Any confidence that any of us had was destroyed the minute Derek opened the back door of the van. He had barely opened them before a loud growl filled the air. I watched in horror as Berserker grabbed a hold of Derek, ripping him from the vehicle. 

I let out a cry as Liam all but threw me to the back of the van, positioning himself in front of me as he, Stiles and I helpless watched. 

The Berserker threw Derek onto the ground, instantly, and repeatedly stabbing him with some sort of claw spike. 

A sob escaped my lips as I watch the man who I looked at like another brother getting attacked.

It was only when Braeden began to fire at the Berserker that it stopped its attack, the several bullets that were being fired causing it to flee. The minute the Berserker was gone, Braeden rushed to Derek. 

My eyes were wide and teary as I jumped from the van, following after Liam and Stiles who were already making their way to Derek. 

"No, no, no." I cried, my eyes locking on Derek who was struggling to take a breath, blood beginning to seep from his mouth. Liam lightly wrapped his arm around me in attempts to comfort me, but it was no use.

"How bad is it?" Peter questioned,  breaking the silence as he and Malia rushed from their own car. 

"I'm fine. I'm fine!" Derek lied, wincing in pain. "Get to Scott. Just find him, we'll be right behind you."

Everyone looked around at the rest of the group, we knew we had to find Scott, but we were all afraid that if we left Derek wouldn't be here when we got back.

"Go!" Derek breathed, but when no one moved an inch he spoke again, GO!" he yelled, making our minds up for us, we had to go.

After another moment of hesitation, Peter ran in first, followed by Malia and Liam. But while the others left, Stiles and I stood frozen in place, our worried eyes on Derek.

"Hey," Derek called, his eyes locked on Stiles,  "Save him." 

With one final glance toward Derek, Stiles nodded before taking off into the church. But even with him gone, I felt like I couldn't move. In the year that I had known about Scott and his friends, and even before, Derek had always protected me. That's what made leaving him so much harder.

"Syd," Derek panted, his pained eyes meeting my teary ones, "Go." He instructed, letting out a wince as he moved slightly,  "Go find your brother."

I shook my head, biting down on my lip to stop myself from sobbing, "I can't just leave you." I argued. 

Braeden turned from where she had been putting pressure on Derek's wound, giving me a small nod, "I've got him." she promised, "Go."

I brought my eyes back to Derek who gave me a small smile, "I'll catch up." he promised one again.