Chapter 9 - English projects and secrets

I got home and Chase was waiting for me. I don't mean to get mad at him back at school, but I can't go near bikes. Not after what happened.

"Hey" I mumbled.

"Hey. Ready to start?" He asked scratching the back of his neck. Great he feels awkward.

"Yeah, come on" I said gesturing upstairs as I opened the door.
---------------------------------------

When we got upstairs it was really awkward. None of us would talk, so I broke the silence.

"I'm sorry ok" I said turning to face him.

"Hmm?" He said facing me confused.

"About the whole bike thing" I said clearing my throat.

"Don't sweat it. Most girls are scared of bikes" he said turning his chair all the way around.

"That's not it. It's just.......complicated" I said not having the courage to actually tell him why I can't go near bikes.

"I know we aren't best friends, I don't actually know what we are" he started while giving a slight chuckle "but you don't have to keep secrets. If something is bothering you, you can tell me" he said giving a slight smile.

I just stared at him blankly. Do I tell him or should I keep it a secret. The only people who know are Jayden and lily. For some reason I think I can tell him though. Chase cleared his throat and soon brought me out of my thoughts.

"Or we can do this another time?" He suggested while waiting for an answer.

"No I trust you" I said taking a deep breath before telling him everything.

"Four months ago my mum was riding on her bike to pick me up from a cafe. She wasn't an average mother so she loved bikes. She had about 7 of them and she would ride them everywhere" I smiled while thinking about her and the obsession she had with bikes, then I continued.

"Anyway, as she was riding to pick me up this car came out of nowhere and hit her bike" I said trying to control my breathing and not letting any tears slide down my face.

"Hey, hey. It's alright, you don't have to continue" Chase said walking over to me and wiping my tears.

"No. I can do this" I said when my breathing was normal.

Chase nodded his head in response for me to continue.

"So after the car hit her bike she fell off, but she wasn't wearing a helmet. She had to be taken straight to hospital" I said pausing to breath again.

"They said that she had hit her head really hard and she was in a coma. A coma that she would never wake up from, after 2 weeks of waiting just in case it was a miracle and she woke up the doctors said it was time to say goodbye" I said tears streaming down my face.

"I'm so sorry Sarah" Chase said sincerely wiping the tears again.

"It wouldn't have happened if I didn't tell her to pick me up. It's all my fault" I said now sobbing and wiping my tears furiously.

It was true. If I didn't call her to pick me up, she wouldn't have gone out that day and the car would have never hit her. Then she would still be hear safe and sound.

I kept my head down trying to stop crying, now tears were just streaming down my face continually.

"Don't ever say that again" Chase said pulling my chin up to face him. He had a look on his face that I had never seen before.

"It's not you fault Sarah. Don't ever blame yourself. Accidents happen all the time and they can't be stopped. Sometimes those accidents end in a bad way, and your mum was just unlucky" he said wiping the last year and holding my hands.

"She loves you, and I know for a fact she doesn't want you blaming yourself for this. Please don't blame yourself Sarah, it wasn't your fault" he said giving me a smile. A real smile.

Chase Ryder just gave me a genuine smile. That doesn't happen ever. I smiled back at him and sat up a bit. I realised our hands were still connected and I flushed when I felt the fireworks. He soon removed them and we sat the in comfortable silence for a bit. Then we went back to normal and started our project.
----------------------------------------

"No stupid, that goes here" I laughed at Chase trying to build our model.

"I knew that. I was just seeing if it looked better there" he defended.

"Well it doesn't. It looks better here" I said grabbing the piece and sticking it in the right place.

"Well then" he pouted crossing his arms. God was it cute. I think I melted.

"Grow up Chase" I said giggling at his child like behaviour.

"Can we go eat I'm hungry" he asked getting out of his chair.

"Sure lets go" I smiled walking out of my room down to the kitchen.
----------------------------------------
Chase's POV

We got downstairs and Sarah and her sister were in the kitchen getting food while I sat on the sofa thinking about what happened earlier. I can't believe it.

She was so upset and she blamed herself. When I lifted her chin up I saw a different Sarah. I didn't see the sarcastic and witty giggling Sarah. I saw the opposite.

A broken Sarah.

No wounder she didn't talk about it. I was getting up when I spotted a picture of Sarah and some other woman. I knew it wasn't Jenna. It must be her mom. She looked about 40 in the picture, so this must have been recently taken.

I wanted to ask about her dad but I had a feeling that was a different story for a different time.

Sarah soon walked in and saw me staring at the photo. Shit.

"Is this her?" I questioned carefully trying not to make her cry again. I can't deal with seeing her broken like that. It breaks me. Fuck, I sound like a girl.

"Yeah this was taken a couple of months before.......yeah" she said giving a sad smile. You could tell she loved and admired her.

"Anyway there's the food" she said gesturing to the table.

"Nice" I said grabbing a pizza slice and shoving it in my mouth. I'm hungry ok!

"Chill, the pizza isn't going to walk away" Sarah giggled.

"What? I'm hungry" I defended with my mouth full.

She laughed and tucked in. She looked cute when she ate. Damn, now I sound like a stalker who watches people eat.

I was supposed to prank her, but after what happened I thought today wouldn't be a good choice. I do have a plan though.

"Wanna come to the beach this weekend?" I asked her out of the blue.

"Hmm?" She questioned making sure she heard me right.

"The beach, with the guys and stuff. You can meet more people and invite whoever you want?" I said convincingly.

"Wanna come?" I asked again.

"Ok, I guess" she answered.

The beach it is then. Time to get this prank war up and running.

I left her house soon after and we texted for a bit. She isn't that bad. She's not the nerd I thought she was. She's actually a lot like Tori, which is cool. She's also pretty and funny. Oh and s-

Why do I keep doing this. Stop thinking about her Chase, you don't like her. Or do I ?
------------------------------------------
Heyyy
Hope you liked this chapter
Picture of Sarah and her mum for ya guys
Does Chase like Sarah?
What do you guys think will happen next?
Comment and vote xx

Courtneyleighxx