Chapter 10 - Lunch Date for Two

I felt completely ridiculous as I sat wearing a curly blonde wig and mustache. My parents disguise was pitiful but somehow people were going along with it. The facade probably wouldn't last long since the article about our arrival was released this morning. Scarlett had sent us an early copy yesterday which my father quickly approved on. Scarlett and I hadn't seen each other since our date Sunday and we only had spoken a few times. She was always constantly busy with work at Sizzle Magazine. If you didn't know any better you would think she ran the entire company. Either that or she was avoiding me. The signals between us were so tangled and confusing. I tried to kiss her and was rejected and embarrassed but later that same night she kissed me and things were great again. It was just a peak on the cheek but was it meant to be more to her because it sure was for me.

I stared out the café window as the waiter placed my latte on the table. It was mid-May and the sun was shining bright on my face. I took in the warmth letting it calm me as I prepared myself. I watched as parents walked the streets with their children, couples walked hand in hand, both young and old. I could only hope that one day that Scarlett, Skylar and I would walk these streets together as a family. Stop! Right now wasn't the time to think about Scarlett or at least not for the next few hours. I was scheduled to have a lunch date with Naomi Cole. She was my father choice so I already feared her slightly. Anyone that was able to make father happy probably resembled him in some ways. I expected her to be mean and bossy like him but at the same time I was going to give her the benefit of the doubt.

"Hey are you George? George Jordan?" asked the black beauty that stood before me.

"Y-Y-Yes." I stuttered. Words could not explain how exceptionally she looked even in a suit. I never thought of myself as a person who liked women in business suits. I suppose after years surrounded by women only wearing ball gowns or nearly nothing at all, I liked the change.

"Hi. I'm Naomi Cole." She said with an extended hand. I shook her hand frantically feeling extremely nervous.

"Please take a seat."

"Thanks. I only have an hour for lunch but I'm glad I get to spend it with such a handsome man."

"Well the feeling is mutual. Not to say that I'm calling you handsome because you're not. But I'm not saying your ugly. You're very beautiful. Oh my I'm rambling. I am so sorry." I said as I threw my head into the palms of my hands. I was so embarrassed! I had seen many beautiful women in my time but something about her made me nervous. It was more than just her looks but also the power that pulsed around her. It was like a glow on her chocolate skin as she sat straight up in her seat with a black coffee in her hands. I felt like I was being interviewed for an entry level position at her business.

"It's okay. I'm nervous too and I think your rambling is cute. Now tell me about yourself."

"I'm a traveling artist. I go to different towns and countries and I draw or paint." This was the fake occupation father had instructed me to have. I really did like to draw and paint but never thought to make a career with it. "I'm actually a favorite of many Queens in England."

"Oh so that's why I hear an English accent on you." She said as we both smiled while I prayed she didn't suspect anything or knew any of the people I mentioned. I lied about attending Virginia State University, traveling to art galleries and the famous connections I made. In my fake life I created self-portraits of the first family, celebrities, and senators around the world. My fake life really was quite elaborate and I almost wanted it to be true.

We were half way through our date and it seemed to be going pretty well - almost. It was as if there was a flash, ding, or ring coming from the phone every other minute. She gave apologizes constantly for the business calls she received and ignored but that only made them resort to email which was just as bad. Eventually she gave up and asked for a moment as she went to call them back. This never happened with Scarlett and Skylar. I always had their full attention. Stop Dalton! You can't think about another woman while dating another!