Chapter Twenty-Three -- Day 23

"Quince!" I try to roll over, but the weight of him on top of me is keeping me on the ground.

I hear his screams turn into a small grunt of pain as he struggles to talk to me.

"Stay quiet." He mumbles.

I feel his face burry itself into my neck and hold my breath.

Warm liquid soaks my clothes and my stomach twists as I realize that it's Quince's blood dripping onto me.

I had to get up to see if he was okay.

I attempt at rolling out from under him again and this time succeed in it.

I look over at him and have to fight back my gag reflex.
Arrows had punctured his body to a point where a couple of them had gone through.

I swallow hard. "Quince," I mumble. "You're going to be okay." I cup his face and lock eyes with him.
Pain and fear are mixed inside his glowing green orbs.

He lets out a shaky breath and laughs a little. "I know I'm dying, Eria." He mumbles. "You don't have to sugar coat it."

I shake my head. "You're not going to die. I won't let you."

Quince shakes his head and lets out another wheezy laugh. "I'm sorry." His eyes start to close.

I shake my head. "Quince, don't you dare die on me." I tell him. "You're not going to die. I'm going to help you."

I let go of his face and start to examine the wounds. There's no way I can take any of the arrows out without causing the bleeding to get worst.

I let out a long breath. There was no other choice. Opening the rift to my magic or not, there was no way I could save Quince without magic.

I close my eyes and take another deep calming breath.

I mumble along words to healing spells my father had drilled into my head when I was a little girl.

They were just simple spells. Enough to heal a cut on my knee when I had fallen and scraped it, but nothing that could heal this.

I would just have to try my best though.

Quince had no other option.

I keep repeating the words and touch Quince's body slowly.

Every time I finish one round of the words, I pull one of the arrows out, quickly pressing my hand over it to stop the bleeding.

I feel his skin warm over as it heals.

I don't stop until I'm finished.

Exhaustion washes over me like a wave. I don't remember laying down, all I remember is the ground rushing up to meet me and then closing my eyes.

The last thing I heard was Quince's voice mumbling my name.

At least he was okay. That was the only thing I could hope for right now.

******

"Eria, wake up." Quince's voice was just as quiet as before, but there was something to it that I couldn't quiet understand.

I open my eyes slowly to see his face in front of mine.

He gives me a small smile. "How are you feeling?" he asks.

I frown and sit up slowly. "Just fine..." I answer. "Are you okay?" I look over his body, looking for any arrows.