Chapter Fourteen -- Day 14

"What are you talking about..." I whisper. "I don't understand."

Myra smiled. "Of course you don't dear. Not yet anyway." She reaches over and pats my cheek. "You're so pretty, dear, did you know that?"

I pull away. "What is this all really about? Stop beating around the bush and tell me." I hear my own voice cracking and start mentally kicking myself because I just showed her I was scared.

The smile in her face was evident that she knew it. She just stood there smiling at me for a few seconds.

Garner came back into the room. "Everything's clear."

Myra nods her head. "Thank you, Garner. Please, both of you, sit down."

I look at Garner and watch him sit down in one of the chairs.

They both turn to me.

"Rose, sit down. She won't bite. Trust me." Garner smiled at me.

I bite down on my bottom lip and sit down quietly.

Myra stays silent for a few more minutes before sitting down at the desk herself.

She smiles at me for a second.

"Well, where do I ever begin..." she says.

"Start where you started with me." Garner prompted.

Myra smiled. "Alright then."

Garner smiles. He looks at me, still grinning.

I swallow the growing lump in my throat and nod my head a little.

Myra smiles again and begins to tell the story.

****

Eria's P.O.V

There was music playing outside apart from the music inside. I could hear it.

No one else seemed to though.

I slipped out the back door and started to walk towards the music.

Lights begin to shine through the maze of bushes.

When I finally get around, my breath is almost taken from me.

A gazebo is set up in the middle of the clearing. Lights and roses are strung up around it, almost making a fairy-tale like appearance.

Wren stood in the middle of it. A single rose was in his hand as he smiled at me.

"Hey, Eria." He smiles. "Can I have that dance now?"

I stare at him with my jaw open for a few seconds before coming to my senses.

Without waiting another second, I walk up to him and slap him across the face.

Wren jumps back, dropping the rose and raising his hand to his cheek.

His brown eyes are wide in shock.

"What was that for?" he asked.

"Why was your body found in the river?" I ask him. "You were put on the list of the dead."

He stares at me, like he doesn't know what's going on. Until realization dawns on him.

"Oh no... I know what she's going to do..."

I frown at him. "What are you talking about?" I ask him.

He bites his lip and takes my hands into his. "I am so sorry about this, Eria. I need you to promise me you'll be careful from now on."