"Mi dispiace papà," {I'm so sorry Papá}  Isabella said as she wrapped her arms around my neck, "Mi dispiace di aver sbarrato la strada. Mi dispiace di averti fatto preoccupare per me." {I'm sorry I got in the way. I'm sorry I made you worry about me.}

"Bella Rose, you didn't do anything wrong."  I told her, "You don't have any reason to apologize to me, I'm your Papá, I'm supposed to worry about ya." 

"Papá, I dreamed that you died.  The Governor attacked this place, with a tank, can you believe that?  I dreamed that you got bit, I had to..."  I wrap my arm around her and squeeze her tight.  "It was just a dream, I'm right here baby girl.  I ain't goin' nowhere."

"Okay, enough of this mushy stuff, what's up with you and Carol, huh?  You two a hot item now?"

"I ain't talkin' to you about that."  I tried to sound stern but I could feel the blush on my cheeks.

"Is Merle Dixon actually blushing?"  Isabella teased as she gave me a shove.  I stood up and turned my back to her.  "I ain't blushin'.  Your Papádon't blush baby girl, there ain't nothin' that can embarrass me." 

                                                                 ****************************

Isabella's awake and healing.  She's all I think of.  I've never been this ready to make a commitment to a woman, especially one I've never even slept with but I'm ready to make this thing with Isabella real.  Trying to get her away from her father long enough to talk to him is where my real challenge is right now.  She hasn't left his side since she woke up and he wasn't leaving hers.  "Rick, I've never felt like this before," I told my partner, "I know I told you I was in love with Lori but I didn't have a clue what I was talking about then.  I do now.  I love her, I love Isabella Dixon."

"Have you told her that?"  Rick smiled and I shook my head.  "Yeah, well that's probably for the best, Merle would have your head on a platter."  I laughed with him now. 

"Yeah, you're right about that.  Merle hates me, just a little bit." 

I was on my way to talk to Merle, if I could break him away from Isabella, I wanted to do this thing right and I knew that started with Merle Dixon.  I needed to get his approval, his blessing, if it was ever going to work.  I was running everything I wanted to say to Merle and how I wanted to say it to him when she suddenly appears crashing into my arms.  "Where are you going in such a hurry, handsome?"  I rub the back of my neck and then run my hand over the top of my head.  I can't stop the smile that forms on my face as soon as I see her bright blue eyes.  "I uh, actually needed to talk to your dad but of course it is always nice to see you."  Merle growled and rolled his eyes as he grabs my arm and leads me away. 

We walk into the cafeteria and he sits down on the edge of the first table he comes to.  "Well, pretty boy, you got me out here away from my baby girl.  Speak."

"Merle, I wanna do right by Izz...Isabella."  Merle just sat there staring at me.  "I wanna be with her, and I want to make sure you are okay with us being together.  I know how much she loves you so I you being okay with us is really important."

"You barely know her and she's been in some sort of coma state for the last three weeks and you're ready to settle down with her?"  I nodded as I sat down across from him.

"I know it sounds crazy, especially in this messed up world we're living in right now, but I love her.  I've loved her since the first time I saw her."

"You think she wants you?"  I wasn't prepared for that question.  I haven't thought about that at all.  What if she doesn't want me?  What if she doesn't feel the same way about me?  "Truth is Merle, I haven't really thought about that.  I hope she does."

"That girl is somethin' else, I'll tell ya." He reaches into his pocket and pulls something out. He stares at it for a minute and I think that I almost catch a tear slipping from Merle Dixon's eyes. "It's the only one I've got," he said as he stared at the ragged piece of paper in his hand, "I took this a long time ago from her mamma. This picture was the only thing that kept me from giving up some days." He reached out and handed it to me and I saw the imprint on that old faded picture. It was a small girl sitting on the seat of a motorcycle with a big grin on her face and a melted ice cream cone in her right hand. "She's always been my little girl, she's loved me even when I didn't love myself. And believe me, there's been a lot of those times. I know I'm an asshole, always have been." I stare at that picture as I imagine the day it was taken. She has that same sparkle in her eyes that she carries in them now whenever she sees her Papá. "You ever have kids?" I shake my head no as I look up at him. "Never thought I would, never thought I was daddy material. Hell, even after she was born, even now, I'm not. But I love that little girl more than my own breath." Now he stands up and walks over to the door. "Merle," I call out to him, "Is that a yes? Do I have your blessing?"