Chapter One

Tears streamed down my face as I ran up the hill, the damp wet soil beneath my feet made it hard for me to run and I fell numerous times. My knees hurt from my last fall, but it did not compare to that of my heart. I scratched my way through another over grown path before slipping again, then there on my back I decided to give up because it was useless to run away. I placed my right arm over my face and wept

"Fumiko, Fumiko. Why did I have to be named Fumiko?" I had enough of them teasing me because of my name.

Why was my name so ridiculous? Why couldn't it be like everyone else's.

Normal.

I didn't want to go back because I knew they were going to tease me again.

They're going to laugh at me. I wish that...that there was only-

I closed my eyes and held back my tears as I bit my lower lip and tried to swallow back my sorrow.

I felt like I was going to die, but how could running away help? I got up with a stagger and looked up at the darkened sky. "When did it get so ....dark?"

It was getting really late. How could I even think of running away?

All I wanted to do was go home and fall on my soft bed.

To see my parents.

And to get warm.

These thoughts passed my mind as I dragged my feet in the wet soil towards the path I knew would take me home.

But wait, where was it!

I could not tell what path I had taken nor where exactly I was and worse of all it was dark and getting darker by the minute. I wanted to go home but now I realized it was too late.

I looked ahead of me, there were thick bushes everywhere and it made everything around me look darker than they actually were.

I groped and scratched along the thick shrubbery, towards the exit, any exit I hoped. Just as my hope begun to finally fluctuate I made my way out from behind a high bush and beside a house.

It was a one story dwelling with a beautiful white porch and a bright out door light that illuminated the damp surroundings around me. I began to stagger up to it at first but then I halted when I saw someone come out unto the porch.

He was a man, seemingly in his early twenties who sported a child like but gentle smile. I staggered back at first sighting him but then towards him when I saw his smile.

"Hello." He said in a friendly voice almost shouting. "what are you doing so far out here from the town?"

"Huh?"

"Please, come out of the rain. You're getting wet and why are you still in your uniform?" He asked in a kind and polite way. I then quickly huddled out of the rain and unto his porch were he gave me a warm blanket to dry off in.

It was surprising though that I didn't even realize that it had started raining.

"Are you alright", he asked in a concerned tone. I looked up at him with bright eyes and nodded yes to his answer while sipping the tea he had also given to me.

"So why are you out here in the rain?"

"I ran away" I heard myself say, which surprised me.

"Huh!.....why?"

I placed my head between my legs and said nothing. How could I- could anyone explain what I felt?

How do you tell someone you ran away because you hate your name?

"Are you okay?" He asked as he placed a warm hand on my back.

"Why are you so concerned?" I managed to say with tears beginning to stream down my face. He then outstretched his hand and placed it on my face, wiping away my tears.

Somehow I know that he knew I didn't want to talk about it. I knew this because I could see understanding in his eyes.

There was a moment of silence between us and he only broke it with the exception of asking me to follow him inside in order for me give him directions to where I lived, so that he could return me home safely. I was reluctant at first then I eventually gave into the soft kindness of his eyes.