Chapter 17

By the time Luke returned I was feeling beyond pissed off. Okay, so maybe pissed off was the wrong term to use. It was more a large feeling of disappointment. Not because he was talking to his ex who supposedly hurt him, but because he never told me he was talking to her. Even though it really wasn't my business, just a little heads up that he was still in contact with her would've been nice.

He must've sensed that I wasn't up to scratch as he didn't say anything when he walked back into his bedroom. His hands grasped onto his phone and I studied his expression. It didn't appear to change, as if texting Shari was a regular thing for him. A weird feeling was bubbling in my stomach. I didn't like him talking to her, not after what she did. I couldn't comprehend how he was fine about even texting her after what she was quite happy to do to him. I sure as hell would block my ex if they did such a thing.

So maybe I was jealous that he still texted her. Jealous because he was in love with her at some point and was considering marrying the chick and here I was only being the new girlfriend that could potentially be clingy, weird, uptight and totally not marriage material. I betted that Shari girl was absolute marriage material. Her parents were probably still together, she was an only child and there were tones of money in the family bank account. Her house was more than likely huge, and she had to have a fancy car. Preferably a Ferrari. And her looks, my God. Jaw dropping, model like, stick figure and soft and silky hair, button nose and big bright eyes. She could wear anything and make it look good.

But those were only assumptions. Assumptions because Luke deserved the perfect girl who had all of those qualities. My family wasn't perfect, wasn't rich and my car and fashion sense weren't the best, and Luke surely saw those at flaws. It made me realise then why he was texting Shari. She was fun and chill and adventurous whereas I was boring, a worrier and a bit of a geek.

"Have I done something wrong?" Luke finally asked, finally acknowledging my mood.

"How's Shari? I'm sure she would understand why I'm feeling a bit shitty with you"

Say that I was taking it too far all you want, but I just couldn't think of any reasonable reason for him to be talking to her considering she broke his heart. What sort of person would be even conversing with their ex? The only solution that I could think of was that he was starting to get bored with me.

"You read my texts" He stated, his eyes narrowing. "That's a little intrusive, don't you think?"

"Your phone lit up and I went to go flick it off and guess who had messaged you, Luke. Shari of course. Let's be honest now, I think I have every right to start to be a little intrusive, don't you?" I told him coldly, wanting to get answers out of him.

He sighed and ruffled his hair, a sign that he was getting nervous. I liked that, knowing that he was unsure on what he could say besides the obvious. "We've only been texting recently. She started it"

"She started it! That's your excuse? That's brilliant, Luke. Very original, better than text book stuff. Do you know how easy it is to say politely that you don't wish to talk with her anymore due to her previous actions, then block her number and delete it from your phone? Quite simple really. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out" I burst, starting to feel frustrated with him. What kind of excuse was that?

"It's not that - " He began.

"Don't give me that excuse too" I shook my head. "Obviously you're still hanging onto some hope that she's changed but let me tell you something. That good old saying once a cheater always a cheater is true. What do you think my mum's up to every other night? Fucking around with some other guy while Tim's at home babysitting the twins that's what"