Chapter 4

Luke ordered himself a mocha, and I ordered a hot chocolate. I was never a big one for drinking coffee, only ever drinking it when I was exhausted. Instead, English tea and hot chocolates seemed to be my fans when it came to heated drinks. I wasn't sure how Luke managed to remain his cool when I told him this for he had informed me on our way to the local café that coffee is a drink that everyone should like, and if you don't like it, well, you're obviously not human.

In my opinion, you either love coffee or you hate it. I just happened to be a part of the human population that hated it and would only drink it when needed.

"Look, Dylan" He said as we walked to my class that I was currently late to. He had insisted that he walked me to class as it was 'the gentleman thing to do'. "I just don't think this relationship is going to work. Any girl of mine has to like coffee, otherwise, they're gone"

Did he just refer our so-called friendship a relationship? Holy sugar towns.

"Look, Luke" I mocked. "Any guy of mine has to hate coffee"

"I will change your ways" He sounded quite determined at that point. I rolled my eyes. There was never going to be a time where I actually would like coffee whether he liked it or not.

"Sure" I nodded to keep him happy. "I'll admit I like coffee the day we end up in a serious relationship, which will be never"

I then brought my cup to my mouth, intending to take a sip of the delicious chocolate drink that Luke had shouted me. I was cringing at my last comment. Sweet Jesus, I was such an idiot. What sort of person says that? A dumbass, that's who.

"Do you want to be my girlfriend, Dylan?"

The hot sweet liquid went down the wrong hole and my eyes widened. Next thing I knew, I was choking and trying to make sense of what he said. I could feel Luke's hand on my back, hitting it not too hard, not too soft, to help with my current issue. To the average person walking past and observing the scene, I probably looked like I was dying. Although, this was the least of my concerns. My only thoughts were on trying to remove the mouthful from my lungs and Luke attempting to save me.

Once my cardiac arrest was over I avoided Luke's eyes. Choking up the drink he had brought me right after he mentioned the g word was absolutely embarrassing. I could feel red blasting all over my cheeks, and my body felt hot. With a quick glance at my singlet to see how much of the drink had been spilled onto it I knew I needed a change of shirt. Double embarrassing much? How was I going to face him now thanks to my reaction to his question?

"Are you okay?" Luke asked quietly.

I nodded, still keeping my face away from his. It was difficult to do, considering that I was extremely attracted to him.

From out of nowhere he brought out a red serviette. He used it to dab at around my mouth, cheeks, and eyes. At some point in between gags I'd began to cry and I hadn't even noticed until that moment. My heart started to warm up due to the affection, but as he continued, I told myself that I needed him to stop. This was going to be way too much for my poor heart.

"How about we ignore that previous question, yeah?" His voice was smooth and cool and a mixture of other things that I couldn't really comprehend at the time for all I knew was that my breathing was incredibly fast, my body was trembling, and all hairs on my skin were standing up. Since when were gorgeous looking guys like Luke so sweet? Sweet Jesus Christ. "I have a jersey in my car you can change into"

I finally found my voice. "You don't have to"

He didn't even seem to consider this point for even a second. "But I want to"