Chapter 9

"Welcome to the bachelor pad" Luke opened the hard concrete door and the strong smell of pizza whiffed through the open gap. I could hear the television going, so I assumed that someone else was already in the building. It wouldn't be surprising, considering that he did in fact flat.

When Luke told me that he lived in a flat with three other guys and he wanted to show me, I was quick to panic. Four males in one house equals a disaster zone. I could barely keep my own bedroom tidy, which gave me the impression that the house would be an absolute pig sty. Despite Luke insisting that they kept it rather clean, I highly doubted him.

"Luke, my brother!" A voice – possibly a male? – yelled. "Did you finally get some balls and bring her around for us to meet?"

"Don't embarrass her, oh my God" Luke groaned as we stepped inside.

The walls were the colour of the sky, and the wooden floors the darkest shade of chocolate. When you opened the door, you walked straight into the lounge that housed two red couches facing a TV. There was a kitchen connected to the room, and from where I was standing I could already see the stacked up dishes that had probably been sitting there for days. Clothes had been thrown on the ground, including a few pairs of boxers. There was even a pair by my feet. Small cardboard boxes that had labels such as Durex and Rexona lay about amongst the band shirts and skinny jeans. To say I was right when I knew the place was going to be a mess was an understatement, and I had barely even walked around.

Sitting on the furthest away red couch was a tan, midnight haired male chewing on a piece of pepperoni pizza. His brown eyes went from the TV that was currently playing Keeping Up With The Kardashians to Luke and I.

"This is Calum" Luke said slowly. "He's the one that picked the movie we watched on our date"

With that comment, Calum howled with laughter. The pizza dropped to the floor as he did so. Obviously he thought it was the funniest thing in the world to have forced us to watch that film and squirm as the sex scene played. Already I found that I liked him. He appeared to be the friend that enjoyed embarrassing his mates.

"He was delirious when he heard what had happened" Luke explained. "He refuses to let it go"

I released a short laugh. "I'm guessing the urge to get him back is strong"

Calum had stopped laughing at this point and was retrieving his pizza from the ground. He didn't speak, so I assumed that Luke had already gotten revenge on the fit boy in front of us. The embarrassment was possibly too much for him to handle.

"Let's not discuss that topic" Luke chuckled.

There was a sense of awkwardness at this point. None of us knew what to say or do. Luke and I were still standing by the doorway while Calum continued to eat his pizza and glue his eyes to the television screen whenever Kendall appeared on the screen. I had only known the boy for less than two minutes and already I could see that he had a bit of a crush on one of the Jenner twins. I really couldn't blame him though, because she was incredibly gorgeous.

"Pizza?" Calum offered, lifting up the brown cardboard box beside him.

The offer sounded tempting, my stomach suddenly starved and craving food. I wanted to race over to the couch and devour the pizza, but Luke seemed to have other plans. His facial expression showed that he wasn't so keen about sharing food with his flatmate, especially when he had a girl around. The struggle to remain calm and politely say no to Calum was difficult.

"I think I'll just show her around then scarper" Luke shifted from one foot to another.

"Your loss"

Luke brought his hand to mine, and proceeded to drag me out of the room in a ridiculous manner. He gave me the impression that he wanted to keep me as far away from his mate as possible. It was kinda cute, and I almost let my thoughts slip as he led me into a room with the same boring blue walls and brown floors covered in clothes and other rubbish.

Placed in the middle was a double bed with blue and black striped sheets and duvet. It was unmade, and had a few shirts thrown onto the end of it, but otherwise it seemed to be the typical teenage bed. There were two nightstands, one on either side of the bed. On top of them sat a box of tissues which his mother probably put on there, a Green Day CD case and a pack of gum. Opposite the bed was a set of drawers with clothing spilling from them. It was something I expected from Luke.

"This is my room" He said, but I already knew it was his, so I didn't say anything in reply to that comment.

"It's kinda messy" He then admitted.

"You haven't seen my room yet" I told him. "It makes your room look clean"

"Are you implying that you want to take me to your bedroom?" He asked smugly, his eyebrow raised. "Because I'm so down"

"In your dreams"

He laughed a little at that, and then flopped down on the bed with his head on hands that were on the pillow, back against the sheets and legs crossed. I wanted to join him and maybe if I was lucky, snuggle up to up him. But that would be considered weird and possibly creepy in my sensible side of my mind. I'd never be spoken to again by the guy if I just randomly got all touchy feely with him.

And then he did something surprising. He patted the spot beside him on the bed, as if to suggest that I should go and sit by him. I awkwardly went placed my butt on the mattress and swung my feet at the end of the bed. I didn't lie down, instead leaned my back against the cold wall. Luke's eyes were focused on the ceiling.

Things were quiet between us. All you could hear was the noises coming from the television in the lounge. I wanted to speak, but I also didn't know what to say. Luke didn't seem concerned at all about us not talking. It was as if he enjoyed the peacefulness between us. I personally wanted to talk, so I said the first thing that came to mind.

"When d'you think people lose their compassion?"

His face turned towards me. He didn't say anything for a few moments. Thinking.

"When they've been hurt, I suppose" He finally said softly. "Why else would you lose it?"

I nodded. "That's what I thought. People get so sick of being hurt and not having anyone to sympathize for them that they forget or force themselves to not express concern for others. They forget how to feel"

"How did I end up with a girl who's into all of this deep stuff?" Luke muttered jokingly.

"How did I end up with you?" I teased. "Did you know that the majority of the activities we've done together revolve around food? We started off with coffee and now we're here with you best mate eating pizza in the room right next to us"

"Hey!" A voice yelled. "I heard that!"

We both laughed, and somehow Luke managed to snake an arm around my waist. I didn't understand how he did it, considering that he was lying down and I was sitting upright, but it happened. Butterflies filled my stomach, and it felt like I was home.

____________________________________________________________________________________

hi guys so im sorry for not updating in like 18 days i think it was and im sorry this chapter plus the a/n here are rushed and my grammar is crappy right now bare with me children

actually i hope there are no children watching this I'd be really really concerned.

anywhore this is only rushed bc i had like an hour to write something down and publish while i could bc im using my friends wifi while shes at school and im not and sHES HOME LIKE NOW HOLY COW AND I DONT WANT HER KNOWING IM WRITING FANFICTION CONSIDERING THAT SHES GOT THIS CHICK SHES BRINGING HOME WHO REALLY LIKES 5SOS AND SHE'LL PROBS WANT TO READ THIS FANFIC IF SHE DISCOVERS IM WRITING 5SOS FANFICTION.

please excuse everything that was just said in the last paragraph of the a/n its a total mess like this story lols bye :-)) x