Chapter 5

My eyes fluttered open. The light that beamed in through the windows stung them, and I found myself having to close them. It was definitely a smart idea of me to forget to shut the curtains, for otherwise I would've slept in way past the time that I needed to get up. I needed to be at the mall by twelve, and that was a ridiculous time to sleep in to, but it was possible to happen in my little world.

Reluctantly, I pulled myself out the comforts of my warm queen sized bed, leaving the duvet and sheets messily lying there. Making it look tidy was not exactly a priority. I much preferred keeping my bed messy, for when I returned back I could return to my previous position that the pillow and sheets had been left as. I pulled on a pair of blue jeans which I found on the floor and threw on a maroon knit. With just a quick look in the mirror I could see that my wavy dark brown hair needed some serious brushing.

I grabbed my hair brush from my dresser and ran it through my hair to rid it of knots. Many people had described my hair as curly, but I always rolled my eyes. It was wavy, meaning that I could brush it without having a nightmare on my hands. To say it bugged me when others insisted it was curly was an understatement, let alone the constant reminding of what the difference was between curly and wavy.

Once I felt that my looks for the day were somewhat presentable, I made my way to the kitchen where I popped two pieces of bread in the toaster and collected the butter, knife and jar of honey. While I waited for the toast to appear I remained quiet, for my two sisters, my mum and step-dad were still fast asleep. Instead, I thought about Luke.

It had been two weeks since the day where I let my feelings get the most of me and I looked like an absolute drama queen in front of him. He had seemed so supportive at the time, so happy to let me cry in his arms while I sorted myself out. It had been something out of a book, I swore. But then I had realized that I'd been so awkward and weird and dumb and many other things. And then I told him I wanted to go home, so he let me go, and I'd been avoiding him ever since. He had tried to talk to me, and he had tried to meet my eyes, but I couldn't do it. I wanted to remove him from my mind and pretend that he didn't exist. I reminded myself whenever I thought about that moment that he just felt bad for me, that he felt like he was compelled to treat this crazy girl with some sympathy because he was such a nice guy.

The bread jumped out of the little machine that had magically turned it into toast. I quickly pulled the two slices out, grabbed the knife and butter, and spread the butter over the toast. The cold yellow mixture melted against the hot solid. Next, I applied the honey, then put both pieces onto a plate and took it to the table where I turned the television on and munched contently on my breakfast.

I didn't have any classes as it was a Saturday, and to say I was grateful was an understatement. It meant two days of being free of avoiding Luke. My current plan was to go shopping with Sarah instead. We'd go around shops, talk shit about people we don't like, discuss how she has a successful relationship and I don't, listen to her complain about girls always asking for her sexy brothers number (He was so hot to the point you felt like crying), and argue over what take-out we would get for lunch. My weekend sounded so simple and easy.

Once I had finished eating my morning feast I proceeded to put the dishes in the dishwasher then slip on my pair of beloved converse. After a quick glance at the time, I was out the door to my car.

I had half an hour to reach the mall, but considering that Sarah was always early, I made that twenty minutes. My only hope currently was that the traffic here in Sydney would be dead at this time of day. Otherwise, she'd get pissed at me for being late. I could already imagine how the conversation would go. Something along the lines of her wallet begging her to open it and spend all her money.