Distraction (Chapter 24)

A/N:

Almost 1,000 reads?! What?! You guys are amazing. Quick shout out to @randompersonH2O and @Andagain for being dedicated and commenting and following. Thank you!!

I worked really hard on this chapter and I'm kinda proud of it. I kinda didn't really like Katie in the last few chapters so I'm trying really hard to fix her.

K anyway, here's Chapter 26. Hope you enjoy :)

-----------------------

Katie's POV

Daryl and I arrived back at the farm about two hours before dawn. He sped into the wide, long driveway at what I assumed to be around three-thirty in the morning.

There were so many times along the way that I had nearly passed out. My thigh was throbbing like hell and my arm hurt something awful. But I couldn't show it.

Ever since I met this group, I've become weaker. More dependent on others. I haven't been as much of a fighter as I was when I escaped that town. I've been crying. I've been showing weakness. Venerability. And I couldn't stand it. I was broken. I had to just suck it up, pick up the pieces, put up all the walls and not let anybody in. Attachments will get you killed. Feelings will distract you. Love will absolutely destroy you. I have my family, that's all. No one else is getting in. Not even Daryl. I had to shut him out to stay alive. And that's exactly what I planned on doing.

"You still alive, back there?" He asked as we pulled up to the front of the house.

"Yes." I replied shortly, just as he turned off the engine.

He got off the bike first, and then turned around to help me.

No, screw this. I didn't need any help.

I swung my uninjured leg over the motorcycle, but it still sent a wave of pain through my injured leg, causing me to cringe.

"Woah, easy there." Daryl said, extending his arm to me. I swatted it away lightly.

"I'm fine." I replied curtly, even though I knew very well that I wasn't fine.

To prove it, I stood up slowly. I took a small step forward with my left, uninjured leg. A small jolt of pain made its way through my right leg as some weight was put on it, but I could bear.

Next, came the tricky part. I very slowly moved my right leg forward, under Daryl's watchful eyes. I made very little progress, as every time I moved it an inch, I had to stop, because I started to feel nauseous and in pain.

"Why don't you stop being so stubborn and let me help you before you fall over." Daryl suggested coldly.

I heaved a sigh and stuck my arm out for him to help me.

This was going to be a lot harder than I thought.

I had my right leg bent at the knee and my left arm slung around Daryl's shoulder. Even though I was hopping on my uninjured leg, it still hurt like hell.

As we approached the front steps, the front screen door burst open. Lori, Maggie, Andrea and Shane stepped out.

"Oh my god!" Andrea yelled, running up to us. The rest of the group followed her.

"Where's Rick?" Lori asked.

Oh my Lord... Hello to you too, Lady.

"What happened to your leg?" Shane asked with a surprising amount of concern.

Shane ran up on the other side of me and carefully placed his arm on the other side of my waist that Daryl wasn't holding on to, to support me. I slung my other arm around his shoulder and immediately felt more stable.