She's Dead (Chapter 18)

Author's note: Sorry, little bit of a shorter chapter.

---------------------------------

Daryl's POV

I ran over to Katie, who was laying on the ground. Her head and her side were bleeding.

I kept muttering, "No,no,no,no,no" over and over again under my breath.

I pulled the crossbow off of her back and laid it down beside her. I knelt down beside her and scooped her up, carrying her bridal style.

"I was kiddin'..." She groaned before blacking out. Her body went limp as I was running back to the house.

"NO!" I yelled. "Andrea! NO!"

I saw Andrea's face drop as she realized that she had just shot Katie.

She covered her mouth and started to sob.

"Is she-" Andrea started, but I didn't want to listen.

I ran even faster towards the house, Katie's lifeless body bouncing up and down in my arms. I looked down at her briefly.

She shouldn't die.

She couldn't die.

I wasn't about to let her die.

"NO!" I kept yelling as I brought her towards the house. Her dad walked outside with all the yelling. Once he saw who I was carrying, his face got serious.

"What happened?" He asked, holding the door open for me to help her inside.

"Which way?" I asked. He didn't answer. "Which way?!" I raised my voice slightly.

"That room on the left." He said pointing.

I opened the door quickly and laid her down gently on the bed. I stepped back to let her dad get a better look at her. I stumbled into a chair. I rested my elbows on my knees and buried my face in my hands.

I heard footsteps. I looked up to see Maggie and Patricia walk in the room.

"Is...is s-she alive?" I asked, struggling to find the words.

Herschel just ignored me. "Step outside, please, son." He said, "We're going to need some space."

I left the room and my worry turned into anger as I stepped outside of Herschel's house.

"How is she?" Andrea asked, but I blew off the question.

I stormed over to the RV and rolled out the arsenal of weapons. I grabbed the hatchet and walked out of the RV.

"Daryl, what are you doing?" Dale asked me.

I ignored him, too, and I started to walk to the forest.

What the hell was I doing?

I turned my head in all directions as I ran through the forest. I saw a walker in the distance.

I ran up to it, whistled at it so that it would turn around, and drove the hatchet deep into its skull.

Then, just as the walker sunk to the ground, it reminded me of Katie falling, after she had gone through hell, by the looks of it, and then got shot. In the head.

Then, realization dawned on me.

Katie is dead.

She had been bleeding, and on top of it, there was now a bullet in her skull.

"NO!" I yelled, hitting the walker hard, multiple times in the face.

Katie is dead.

I stepped back after about ten swings. All that was left of its face was a pile of flesh and blood.