Broken Glass (Chapter 23)

Authors note:

Well guys, stupid me accidentally deleted chapter 23... I luckily had a draft that I think was exactly the same, but lol my heart STOPPED. 

K sorry im done... here's 23 :)

--------------------- 

"Son of a bitch." The average one said, "They're alive."

Katie's POV

My eyes went wide when I saw them. Living people?

We haven't seen another group in so long and it felt refreshing to know that we weren't alone out there.

The average one made his way over to a nearby table, while the bigger one plopped himself on a bar stool.

"I'm Dave." The average one said, as he pulled up a chair beside the table. "That scrawny-looking douche bag over there is Tony." He said sarcastically, pointing at the the round, greasy man on the bar stool.

Tony chuckled. "Bite me, Dave." He said, which seemed like an odd thing to say given the world's current state.

"Hey, maybe someday I will." Dave responded, looking over at Tony.

Dave turned slightly in his chair so that he was facing us. He grabbed the bottle of liquor from beside Dad and poured himself a shot glass.

"We met on I-95 coming out of Philly... Damn shit-show that was." He recalled.

"I'm Glenn. It's nice to meet some new people." Glenn greeted.

"Rick Grimes." Rick stated simply, pouring a drink and handing it to Tony.

Dave simply nodded and took a slow sip of his drink.

"What about you, sweet cheeks?" Tony asked.

I sighed and rolled my eyes. It was obvious what kind of men these were.

"Katie Greene." I answered curtly, avoiding eye contact with the fat, sweaty one they call Tony.

If smelling his stench wasn't enough, I could definitely feel it. And even if it sounds impossible, I was sure that I could see it, too.

Dave nodded slowly and pursed his lips. "How 'bout you, pal?" Dave asked, pointing to my dad. "Have one?"

"I just quit." Dad said, referring to the drinks, too unstable to realize that Dave was talking about his name, not his drink.

"You've got a unique sense of timing, my friend." Dave said, smiling slightly.

"His name's Herschel." Rick clarified. "He lost people today, a lot of them." He added.

"I'm truly sorry to hear that." Dave said, raising his glass. "To better days and new friends. And to our dead -- may they be in a better place." He slammed his glass lightly on the table and brought it to his lips. "Cheers." He mumbled as be was about to take a sip.

He knocked his head back and took a short, quick swig of his shot glass, finishing it.

There was a small silence that filled the air. No one knew what to say. We all just stood there. Finally, Dave broke the silence.

"Not bad, huh?" He asked, pulling a black handgun out of his pocket and displaying it in front of Rick. "I got it off a cop." He said, proudly.

"I'm a cop." Rick stated bluntly.

"This one was already dead." Dave assured, raising his eyebrows and making the jagged creases in his forehead more evident.

There was another silence that lingered in the air. I had to say something. I had to. I wasn't one for awkwardness.