You're Killing Us (Chapter 9)

Andrea's POV

This ride to the CDC felt like it was the longest car ride I've ever been on. I didn't talk to anyone. Just stared out the window, mostly. We stopped three times, during that hour and a half drive. We had to get Maya and Drew gas whenever Glenn said that he thought that they would be running low soon, and we had to stop twice because of the steam that was seeping through the vent at the front of the car, from the engine.

No one was talking to me the whole ride. They thought I was too fragile. Finally, I heard Dale ask Glenn to take the wheel, and he came over to sit across from me at the table.

"I know how you feel, you know." Dale had said.

No, you don't. 

"I lost my wife, before all this. Cancer." He said with a sad tone, "And we never could have kids. We tried once. When we found out she was pregnant, it was the happiest day of our lives." He continued, "But she miscarried."

"Cancer isn't the same as having your flesh torn from your bones." I told him.

"You're right. It's not the same. It happens slowly. It's a slow, painful death. First they lose their energy, then they get all pale and skinny. " He said, sadly, "But do you know what the worst part is? The worst part is that, at least with a bite, you know they're going to turn. There is no cure, no hope. With cancer, the doctors tell you she's going to be okay, she's going to fight and survive, but they lie. She won't. She didn't." Dale was looking at his feet, now.

He truly did understand what I was going through.

"How did you get through it? The loss?" I asked him.

"I didn't, at first." He said, "Especially when this all started. I was almost about to let one of those things get me. But then I found this group. They were all strong-willed, they had food, water, weapons. My will to survive, that's what keeps me going." He said, lightening up, smiling.

I weakly smiled back at him, "Thank you." I said.

He nodded and headed back to the driver's seat. "Looks like we've made it." He said to everyone in the RV. Looking ahead, we saw a large building about a mile away.

I genuinely smiled for the first time in awhile, because we had made it, and for the first time in a very long time, I felt safe.

* * *

Maya's POV

Drew and I stepped out of the Jeep, in front of the CDC to join the rest of the group. There was a very big, gray metallic door. Rick tried sliding the door open. When that didn't work, Shane came and helped him. The door didn't budge.

"There's nobody here." T-Dogg stated.

"Walker!" Daryl raised his voice and took it out with an arrow.

Carl, Sophia, Carol and Lori started whimpering. Causing more chaos than needed.

"Rick, this is a dead end." Shane said, walking back over to Rick, placing his hand in front of him.

"Where are we going to go?" Carol whined.

God, shut up Carol.

"You hear me?" Shane continued, "No blame."

"He's right, Rick." Lori said, "We can't be here this close to the city after dark, she said, glancing over her shoulder at the rapidly setting sun.

"Fort Benning, Rick." Shane said, "Still an option."

"Forget Fort Benning, we need answers tonight!" Lori said, the chaos rising, again.

Carl and Sophia were both sobbing, now. Carol was holding both of their hands.

Everyone turned around to leave. "Let's go." They were saying.

Rick turned around to leave, too. I took one last glance behind me, and so did Rick and Drew, when we saw a slight movement.

"THE CAMERA!" Rick and I yelled at the same time.

"It moved!" Drew yelled.

Rick walked back to the door. "I know you're in there!" He said to the camera. Shane pulled him back.

"I KNOW YOU CAN HEAR ME!" He kept yelling. "Please! We're desperate! We have women and children! No food! Hardly any gas left, no where else to go!" I could barely hear what he was saying, everyone was all talking at once.

Lori stepped in front of Rick. "Rick, there's no on there, lets go." She said, pushing him back towards the street.

"YOU'RE KILLING US! YOU'RE KILLING US!!" Rick shouted in a desperate attempt to convince who he thought was on the other side of that door.

"You're killing us." Rick managed to get out as Shane took him by the arm and slung him forward, away from the door. Rick stumbled and almost ran into me. He started to walk back to the street, when we heard the creaking of a metal door and the blinding light from the inside.