Stay Alive (Chapter 2)

Maya's POV

Drew and I cringed as we watched the doctor being torn to parts.

"We have to get out of here!" Drew shouted, "Come on!"

Drew raced towards the door and flung it outwards, hitting the doctor and the man, knocking them both to the ground. We sprinted out of there as fast as we could, dodging people, desks, flinging open doors and not caring about anything, except getting out of there. The hospital was complete chaos. People growling, snarling, biting other people, tearing their flesh, eating them alive. It was a horrible sight and Drew and I wanted no part of it.

I jumped over corpses. They were everywhere. This fuelled my fire. I had no intention of being bit tonight. I just wanted to go home.

As we ran out of the building, I fumbled for my keys. Once I secured them, I unlocked the door to my Jeep. As soon as we got in the car, I pushed down hard on the accelerator and sped off.

The ride was not much different than the hospital.

It's funny how things could go from dozens of drunks stumbling around to utter chaos in a matter of a few hours.

I was on high alert as I sped through the total anarchy on the streets, on high alert. 

I yelped as I swerved out of the way, a transport truck spinning out of control, jacknifed.

I took many deep breaths as I sped towards my appartment compound. I stopped the car at the front, not bothering to go to the parking garage.

"What do we do?" I asked him. "Drew, I'm not spending the night in a town that I can't even drive on the streets, it's in so much dissaray.

"So then we leave."

"Leave?" I questioned. "Just leave? Where?"

"I don't know." He answered. "But for right now, let's just go inside and get our shit toghther."

I smiled weakly and nodded, running my hand through my hair. "Alright, let's go."

* * *

Andrea's POV

I woke up and saw the time on the clock. It was only six o'clock and on weekends I didn't get up until at least ten. I don't know what provoked me, but I got up anyways and made myself a cup of coffee and left some in the pot for Amy.

I turned on the TV quietly, trying not to wake Amy up, who was stirring in her sleep. I turned it on The Channel 8 News as I do every morning, still sleepy, I barely even noticed what the woman was saying. I snapped to my senses, realizing that she had said "plague". I turned up the volume, not caring too much about waking Amy up at this point. The broadcaster's words hit me hard and I was not expecting them at all.

'If you are just tuning in, we are deeply saddened to inform you that the entire Northwestern hemisphere has been faced with a plague, which, if it continues at this rate, threatens to infect everyone. This plague causes people to lose control of their body. Their eyes glaze over and they start fumbling around, stumbling everywhere. You can get this plague my being bitten or scratched by the infected. The first sign of infection is a terrible fever. If you are infected, get to the nearest hospital as soon as possible.'

* * *

Maya's POV

''If you die from infection, you won't be dead for long, you will come back, and you will try to infect others. If your loved one has been infected and is now trying to infect you, they cannot be reasoned with. They are no longer there. That person no longer exists.'