Regrets And Goodbyes (Chapter 5)

A/N: Another shorter chapter, sorry... i promise they get longer, though.

Maya's POV

I watched sadly as Andrea sunk to the ground, caressing Amy's face in her hands. Amy was making a choking sound, desperately gasping for air, but I knew it was over.

I got up from my spot next to Drew and started to walk over to where Andrea was, when I heard a low pitch scream. I snapped my head around and scanned the crowd for the missing person, when my eyes landed on Carol and Sophia looking at each other with a look of horror on their face.

Ed.

Shane stood up first and ran over to the tents, followed by Carol. I slowly and cautiously trailed behind Carol, with Drew beside me. We heard a gun go off, as Shane shot the infected that had started to eat Ed. His stomach was torn open and he was already dead.

"Another walker? Daryl said while peeking in the tent.

Shane simply nodded and we left Carol in the tent with Ed to say her goodbyes.

* * *

Katie's POV - Minutes earlier

I was sitting by the fire, with Daryl on my left and the Grimes family on my right, staring at Andrea and her sister. It pained me to watch her so upset, even though I don't know her. I was snapped out of my train of thought when I heard a man scream. Immediately, Shane sprung out of his seat, followed by Carol, then Drew. Maya was already standing and spun around so fast it made me dizzy.

Sophia let out a small whimper just as Daryl got up to follow them. I also stood up, realizing it was a bad idea and cringed at the pain in my ankle.  Seeing this, Daryl gently helped me back into my seat.

"Woah, woah, woah," he started to say, "and just where do you think you're going on that ankle?" he asked me, exactly how my mother would've.

"You know, I always thought my mother's name was Josephine Greene, not Daryl Dixon." I said with a smirk. He let out a small exhale.

"I sure as hell ain't your mother," he started to say, "but if you want to get out of your comfy chair by yourself, walk all the way over to those tents on a sprained ankle to go see a man who beat his wife get devoured by a walker, be my guest." He said a little coldly. I didn't even attempt to hide the slight look of shock on my face. Noticing this, he lightened up a little. "Or you could stay here, an I'll fill you in when I get back." He said, gently tapping my shoulder as he walked by me.

He came back just a few moments later, followed by Shane, Drew and Maya. I gave him a questioning look.

"It was Ed. Shane took down the walker that ate his gut and Carol is in there, saying goodbye." He said with not even the slightest cringe of sadness in his voice.

"Where's your sympathy? The man just got eaten by a walker!" I whispered loudly.

Daryl just shrugged. "Got no sympathy for a man who layed his hands on his wife and girl" He said emotionless.

Oh, yeah. I forgot. I smiled weakly at him and said "Oh, yeah. Right... sorry"

Daryl shrugged his shoulders again while responding, "No biggie"

I let out a small exhale and smiled, but this lightness didn't last for long as I heard Glenn yelling at us. "WALKERS!"

Daryl and I both looked up to see more than twenty walkers all over the edge of the campsite.

Shotgun already in hand, Shane started picking them off one by one. Rick joined in with his pistol, followed by Jim and Morales with baseball bats. Daryl left and ran for his crossbow, managing to kill a few.

I gingerly got up out of my seat and reached into my pocket for my gun. My fingers wrapped around the Glock and I pulled it out, shooting all the walkers that came near me, until the attack started to die down.

One more walker staggered towards camp and Jim said, "I got this one." He swung the bat hard, knocking the head off of the walker. I cringed as the head rolled close to me. Daryl came back and saw that the head was still growling and snarling.

"Son of a-" he started, and he fired an arrow into the walker's growling head, silencing it.

* * *

Andrea's POV

I've been kneeling here for hours, clutching Amy's face. Her eyes have been closed for awhile, now. But she wasn't dead. She couldn't be dead. Or, at least she wouldn't be for long. She will come back. She's turning right now. She's getting paler, lips getting dryer, dark circles starting to appear under her eyes. She would wake up soon, I would get to hear her take one last breath, and then I would put her down.

Would I be able to?

I don't know, but no one else will lay a finger on her. It's my responsibility as her older sister, her only family left. I heard the faintest breath escape her lips as her eyeballs started to move underneath their lids. In my peripherial, I saw Shane and Rick tense. Rick walked over, and reached towards his belt for his gun.

I quickly pulled my own gun out and pointed it at him. He hesitated.

"The safety's-" he started to say, but then I cut him off.

"I know how the safety works." I retorted, turning it off quickly in the middle of his sentence. He nodded and started to back away.

I turned my attention back to Amy as her eyes started to open. She reached up to my face, and gently grabbed my hair. Maybe she was still there...

No. She's gone.

I reminded myself quickly shaking the thought from my head.

"Amy, I'm so sorry." I said to her, knowing she can't understand a word I was saying. She lifted her head up off theground and closer to my face. "For never being there..." Her hand reached up to my hair. "I always thought there'd be more time."  I pulled my gun up to her head and pulled the trigger.

BANG

"I love you..."