Chapter 22>>>

When you finally meet the right one for you, it suddenly becomes clear why everyone else was so wrong. -Steve Maraboli

Shailene's POV
Tomorrow is Theo's birthday, and although he keeps telling me he doesn't want to do anything... we're doing something. He says that the only thing he wants is for me to be by his side all day, nothing else. Although I was touched, I told him I'm doing something for him and getting him something.

"Shai!" I hear Theo call. It's after school- on a Friday night- and I'm staying over. Because Theo says he wants me to be the first thing he sees when he wakes up tomorrow on his birthday.

"What?" I ask, typing the last paragraph of my homework on my laptop, in the bedroom.

"You almost done?" He asks walking into the room. "Almost. I have like three sentences left." I tell him, not taking my eyes off the screen.

"Why?" I question. "Because I'm making dinner. And I wanted to ask you something." Theo answers.

"Can't you ask me now?" I ask, saving my finished work.

"I can, but I want your company out there." He says changing into something warmer.

"Fine." I say with a small laugh. "Good." Theo kisses my cheek and leaves, with me coming out a few minutes after him.

"So.. What did you want to ask me?" I ask him, taking a seat on one of the bar stools in the kitchen. Watching him getting all the ingredients out, along with the utensils.

"My mum normally calls on my birthday if I can't be with them on the day of. And I wanted to know if I can mention to her that I'm bringing my girlfriend over when we gather during break." Theo says, his back to me- preparing dinner.

It's one of the few times he's said the 'G' word without even knowing, or trying.

I smile to myself, probably blushing a bright rosy pink. "That's fine." I tell him, trying to sound normal.

"She'll be excited." Theo comments. "Really?" "Yeah. She's always asking me when I'll find someone again. Most of my siblings are married, and have a family of their own. So she's waiting on me and my brother James." Theo says and I love when he talks about his family, or his childhood.

It's one of the times he seems most comfortable.

My smiles grows. "How long ago was the last girl?" I ask, curiously. "A year and a half ago." Theo says and the tone of his voice hints that this isn't the best topic right now.

"Sorry." I whisper. "Don't apologize." Theo says turning to look at me. I get up and walk over to him, sitting on the counter in front of him.

"It's just that that's my past. This is my present and hopefully future. That's why it's not my favorite thing to talk about." Theo says, resting a hand on my thigh lightly.

I nod my head slowly, gazing into his eyes. He leans upward touching my lips with his. The spark returning.

A knock at the door breaks our kiss, leaving Theo smirking at me and kissing my head before going to the door. I get off the counter and hear him open the door.

"What are you doing here?" I hear Theo ask angrily. I can hear a woman's voice but can't see a face- since I'm staying in the kitchen for the time being.

"I'm here to pick up--" Theo and the woman walk around the corner and she sees me.

Theo sighs and pinches the bridge of his nose. "Well who's this Theo??" The woman asks, a thick Irish accent coming out with each word.