Chapter 16>>>

Let me love you, if not for the rest of your life, then for the rest of mine.

Shailene POV
It's the end of the school day, and it dragged on longer than I thought it would. I'm unlocking my locker, and just open it when a little note falls out. Flying to the floor then picking it up. I unfold the top and read what lays inside.

Shai~

I many sound greedy, and I'll take that. But when you visited this morning I didn't get the amount of time I had hoped with you, so my invitation is for tonight. Whenever you have time, no matter how late... Come on over. I want to see you.

~Theo

My smile can't be stopped right now, no matter how hard I could try it won't come off. But I don't try to stop it, that's the thing. And his note was straight to the point, yet had that classiness Theo has to it.

I stuff my things into my bag faster, eager to get home and get ready-after doing my homework of course. I walk faster through the hallways and towards my car in the parking lot.

"Shai!" I hear Charlotte yell, and hear her boots hit the pavement running to me.

I turn and am met by her smile, "Hey." She says out of breath.

"Hi Charlotte." I greet stopping my walking.

"Chris and I were wondering if you wanted to go with us to this club tonight, called Midnight Dreams??  We're thinking about skipping tomorrow, especially if we get hammered." She laughs.

"Oh, I can't tonight. I have a lot of homework and I'm supposed to call my mom." I lie, and I feel bad having to do so.

"Oh." Charlotte says bummed.

"Maybe we could all go for drinks on say Friday." I suggest. (A/N: Drinking age there is 18, looked it up.)

"Sure! I'll tell Chris. Well we'll miss you tonight." She says and gives me a side hug, waving goodbye as she walks to her own car.

As I start to walk to mine again, I can't help but think that all these lies and secrets are going to catch up with me.

>>>>>>>>>

"Ugh!" I groan as I'm choosing an outfit. I've tried on four things, and with each one there's something wrong.

I'm standing in front of my closet in nothing but my lace undergarments. Earlier I finally decided between fancy and causal- landing on casual.

I spot a shirt I loved wearing out in nature, which I haven't yet been able to experience here, in the back of my closet.

I grab the olive green, half sleeved, button up, dipped neck line shirt out, and pair it with black freighted shorts and my black combat shoes. (Inspired by an outfit that Madison Montgomery wore on American Horror Story: Coven)

I pull my straightened hair into a pony tail, and add some eye make up and nude lip gloss. I'm not one of those girls who lathers on make up, making it look like they're wearing a mask.

"Okay." I breathe to myself, grabbing my black studded purse and get ready to leave.

Closing my door on the way out, and locking it I see Mr. Nicolson walking towards his apartment.

"Evening shailene, little late to be going out isn't it?" He asks half joking and half serious.

I laugh lightly though, "Maybe." I say knowing that it's close to ten at night.

"Well, don't come home too late." He says and enters his home.

I walk down to the parking lot and when the cool air hits me, I spot a car close to the entrance waiting for someone.

Waiting for me. "Knock Knock." I say going up and knocking lightly on the closed window.

He rolls down the window and looks at me with a smile. "I could've driven myself you know." I tell him.

"I know. But I wanted to pick you up, have even more time with you." Theo says.

"You really are greedy." I joke and he unlocks the door, allowing me to sit in the passenger's seat.

"Maybe a little." He says and starts to pull out.

"Did you wait all this time? How'd you know when I'd be coming over??" I ask him.

"I may or may not have non creepily waited for you." Theo says and I laugh. 

"You look great." He says looking at my outfit, then at me. "Thank you." I say quietly.

"You don't have to be self conscious, especially not around me." Theo says and places a hand on my thigh, making my breath hitch a bit.

"That's easier said than done." I tell him, watching the buildings we pass through the window.

"How so?" "Because every girl gets insecure. And around a man... that feelings magnified." I explain to him.

"But you're beautiful." Theo tells me and the way he says it, it's like he's saying a well known fact.

"You think so?" I catch myself asking him.

He looks over at me, stopping at the light. "Of course I do. You're beautiful in everything, and you.. You are a beautiful human being in and out." Theo says and I want to cry, laugh, smile, and kiss him all at the same time.

And I do.

His lips feeling soft against my own smiling lips, the feeling of his truth from the words he said dripping from his lips into mine. Penetrating into me, reaching my heart in a different way. And sticking there, always there to remind me that he thinks I'm beautiful.

He pulls back when the light turns green and then we're off again.

>>>>

"Theo stop!" I tell him and he looks at me oddly. He decided we should go together tonight, dancing or drinking- both.

"What?" He asks pulling over.

"We can't go to this bar." I tell him.

"Why not."

"Because my friends from school are there tonight." I explain.

"So?" "I guess it wouldn't look odd showing up when I lied to them on where I'd be tonight. And showing up there with my teacher!!"

He sighs. "Fine." He pulls out and back into the traffic.

"Now I feel bad." I tell him honestly, looking out the window.

"Don't. I get it." Theo says.

I bite on my thumb nail like I do sometimes, and stare out the window trying not to face Theo.

"Turn around." I say, breaking the silence that was starting to build.

"What?"

"Turn around. Let's take a risk." I say and he laughs.

"Daredevil are we??" Theo jokes trying to find a place to turn around.

"Let's let loose tonight." I say turning my head to look at him.

"Okay." "Just if I'm super drunk... don't let me sleep with any one." I add.

He laughs, "The only guy I'd hope you end up sleeping with on accident would be me." Theo comments and although I laugh, something inside me feels different.

Fear?? Uneasiness?? Nervousness??

I shove away what ever feeling it may have been and get ready for a night of fun.