18# The Story

Song: The Story- Brandi Carlile.
Ian
My eyes flew open as I felt Chantal flinching in my arms.
"Babe," I whispered shaking her. "Chantal, wake up." I said louder as she opened her eyes.
"What, Ian?" She whined turning to me.
"Are you okay?" I frowned.
"Yeah, but it's too cold, don't you think?" She groaned wipping the sleepiness out of her eyes.
"The weather is really bad. Go get dressed, and we'll go back home." I groaned as I stretched my aching body.
"My whole body hurts. I feel my bones breaking." She mumbled walking towards the bedroom.
"We slept on the floor and it's too cold as well." I shrugged walking to the kitchen to prepare a couple of sandwiches for us.
"Where's Romeo?" She asked as she appeared at the kitchen doorframe.
"Isn't he in the bedroom?" I asked placing the knife back on the counter before walking out to look for him.
"No."
"The doors are locked, right?" I turned to her.
"I don't know." Her eyes widened.
"You don't know?" I glared pushing my way past her. "I told you to always keep them locked!" I snapped.
"I close them, but I am still seeing Damon!" She yelled making me stop and turn around.
"Here?" I asked slowly.
"Not here." She shook her head wipping her tears. "But the other day the doors were locked, but-" She stopped as her voice cracked.
"But what?" I asked sternly as I pulled her closer to me.
"But he came.."
"You saw him?"
"No." She shook her head.
"Tell me what exactly happened right now! Why didn't you tell me before, huh?! Talk!" I screamed as I saw Romeo walking around the corner.
"Romeo," She sniffled sitting on her knees to welcome him with a hug.
"I'm talking with you!" I glared pulling her up forcefully.
"He tried to touch me, so I hit him, but not a drop of blood was clear, Ian. I don't know from where did he come or if this is really Damon!" She screamed.
"Get dressed." I dismissed not reacting to her words. I don't know if I'm mad at her... I'm just frustrated, I think. I feel like there's something she's keeping from me. Something that she told Tella and not myself.

"I'm ready." Her hoarse voice rang in my ears.
"Grab a sandwich till I put the bags in the car." I sighed.
"Are you mad at me?" She asked making me stop for a second.
"I'll wait in the car. Bring Romeo with you." I replied ignoring her question.
I need a break of this shit.
I'm tired of this.
Seriously.
Pulling out my phone, I dialed Tella's number to be answered after a few rings.
"Hey, Ian!"
"Tella, how are you?" I smiled faintly at her cheery voice.
"I'm perfect. How's your vacation going?" She asked.
"Actually we're coming back to the city today because the weather is getting really horrible in here."
"Oh.. it's fine, though."
"Tella, Can I come over today?"
"At home?"
"Yeah. I know you're off tonight, but I really need someone to talk to."
"Sure, Ken and the kids will be more than glad. You'll bring Chantal with you, right?"
"No. I want to talk with you in private."
"Okay, I got it. I'll be waiting for you around five?"
"Alright. Thank you." I nodded to myself.
"You're welcome, bro."
"Bye." With that, I hung up as Chantal helped Romeo get settled in the back seat.
"Were you talking to someone?" She asked after moments of silence.
"No." I lied as I started the car.

"The problem is getting bigger everyday. I'm confused and I don't really understand her." I sighed.
"You don't trust her?" Tella asked quietly.
"I do trust her, but there's something strange about it. I feel like I don't know her." I frowned.
"Maybe you really don't know her, Ian. You just got to meet each other and it's normal to learn things about each others everyday. It's hilarious that I'm still learning about Ken after all these years of marriage, but it's normal."
"Do you think that she's okay?"
"It's too early to ask this question." She shrugged.
"Tella, I have a problem, now. I don't know whether what she says is real or imaginary. I don't know how to react to things. Sometimes she does things that make me want to fight with her and scream and let it all out, but I don't because she'll fear me. She's taking every single fucking word very seriously. It's frustrating!"
"You love her or not?"
"Of course I do." I glared at Tella for asking such question.
"Think again. Is it love or pity?"
"Pity?" I narrowed my eyes.
"You met her in her worst days. Her story is tragic... did that make you care more?"
"Of course it did."
"Out of love or pity?" She repeated.
"I can't understand the question."
"If X was lying on the floor in stead of Chantal, would you take X home, make her meet your family and stand by her side just like you do with Chantal or not?" She leaned closer looking at me in the eyes
"I don't know." I whispered after moments of silence.
"You do. Just think about it."
"Okay, I wouldn't. I mean, I'd help whoever is in this position, but not like this."
"So, aside from the love thing, you feel that there's something special about Chantal, but you can't name it, yet."
"Exactly." I nodded.
"Ian, there's something between you and Chantal. There's no trust because you feel that she's always hiding something from you. It's a normal thing for someone in that condition. Give yourself some time till everything gets settled. You can take a break as a couple and act like friends for a while."
"Do you think I took a quick step?"
"Yeah, I guess, but it's okay. You can still fix it." She shrugged as Eve stepped in the room.
"Can I come in?" She said in a small voice.
"You already did," Tella giggled extending her arm to pull her little girl in a hug. "come for mommy." She smiled kissing her cheek.
"Won't you come outside?" She frowned.
"We're coming, now." Tella shrugged.
"Let's join them. I'm better, now." I smiled getting up.
"Are you sure?"
"Yeah yeah."
"Okay, let's go."
"Where's daddy?" Tella asked Eve as we all walked outside.
"He's preparing dinner."
"I'm done!" Ken called from the kitchen making me chuckle.
"Let's eat, then. I'm so hungry." Tella smiled kissing his cheek before sitting next to him, and I sat on his other side.
"Man, I miss your food." I laughed lightly.
"I miss school days." Tella agreed as we started eating.