14# Stitches

Song: Stitches- Shawn Mendes.
Ian
"I was married to a man, and he used to hurt me." Chantal started.
"Did you love him before marriage?"
"Yes, and I still can't get myself to hate him. He was tender and romantic. He was perfect." Her voice trembled.
"Where is he, now?"
"Dead." Chantal answered curtly, and Tella looked surprized for a moment, but recovered quickly.
"Okay, before we go there, I want to know how did your day go, and if you remember the thing that changed him."
"We fell in love in collage, and he was the kind of guy that every girl dreams of. He was very handsome, and acted like a gentleman. He treated me like a princess, and after we graduated, we got married."
"Go on." Tella nodded jotting down notes.
"Everything was okay in the beginning, but then he started to act strange."
"In what way?"
"He's get jealous of any man who passes by. At first, I felt special, and thought that it's a lovely thing and it shows his affection, but then I understood that it was not out of love. He was possessive, and as days went by, things got more complicated. He forbid me from going out without him even if it was to work. I resigned, and accepted his order, but things turned crazy, and I was forbidden to even walk in our backyard. My whole life was just about him- no friends nor family."
"How did they react to this?"
"No one knew about it. I was being distant and gave excuses everytime there was a gathering. I was resticted to even see my mother."
"Why did you submit this easily?" Tella asked, and I was getting uncomfortable to hear about it all, but I remained still, listening quietly.
"I don't know. Maybe it's because I loved him." She shrugged.
"Okay, go on."
"Things were getting unbearable, and he would go out and lock me in like a dog. Sometimes, he's go on a vacation, and keep me locked in, and I knew that if I didn't resist, I'd lose my mind, so I searched the house, and found a way to sneak out from my prison. Of course I had no car or money, so I used to sell a thing or two to hang out. My friends didn't accept me again among them, and my mother was too mad, but I would go beg her to forgive me, and leave."
"Okay, so this is mental abuse, other than that did he abuse you physically?" Tella asked, and I shifted in my seat.
"Yeah," Chantal paused holding back her tears, "He once returned early from work, and when I walked in our bedroom, I found him waiting for me, shaking in anger. He held me by the hair, and bashed my head against everything till I fainted, but he didn't stop kicking me in the stomach." Tears fell from her eyes freely and she was hiccuping to catch her breath.
"Let it all out. There are tissues behind you." Tella sighed.
"I bled." Chantal sobbed. "It wasn't my blood."
"What?"
"I was pregnant." A single tear fell from Tella's eye as she heard that.
"So, you were sharing intimate moments with him like a normal husband and wife?" Tella asked, and Chantal nodded in shame.
"Okay, I'm sorry, you can continue." Tella closed her eyes for a second taking a deep breath.
"When he found me bleeding heavily, he took my to the hospital, and I had to tell them that I fell off the stairs."
"Didn't he feel guilty?"
Laughing lightly, Chantal shook her head. "He actually told me that he knows what to do with me since I got pregnant from another man."
"Sorry, I can't understand. You were cheating on him?"
"To him, I was. Maybe he was trying to justify his actions, I don't know." Chantal shrugged.
"So, it was his baby?" Tella repeated.
"Yes." Chantal nodded.
"What did he do after that?" Tella asked, and Chantal looked at me hesitantly.
"Ian, will you please wait outside?" Tella asked, and I nodded quietly walking out.
Waiting silently, I started to imagine her sitting with that kind of man, and how he used to touch her. As much as I want to know what she's telling Tella, I'm grateful that I can hear no more of this sick relationship.
About an hour later, Tella stepped out looking for me.
"Will you join us again?"
"Do I have to?"
"Please." She nodded as I stood up and followed her inside.
Chantal was still sitting in the same spot where I left her. Silently, I walked over to her and kissed the top of her head. I felt like I needed that more than her. I needed to assure her that I'll always be there for her. Holding her hand, I sat quietly next to her without saying anything.
"Ian, I wanted you to be here to listen to what I want to say because you'll help Chantal getting over those rough days. What you're passing through now is a mental breakdown, and it's a normal thing after what you passed through." She paused, and Chantal nodded. "I want you to go on a vacation and enjoy the peace together. Get away from any negative thoughts and try to clear your mind. Don't force yourself to do anything and don't care too much. Imagine yourself as a teenage girl running away with her boyfriend, and be carefree for just one week." Tella smiled making me shake my head.
"Try to sleep tight, and not less than eight hours a day. I won't prescribe any medicine for you. Let's try what I said for this week, and I'd like to see you again next week to know how this week passed and if you're feeling better or not."
"Okay." Chantal nodded.
"Before you sleep take a hot shower and a glass of hot milk and move all electronics out of the room or at least far from your head. This may help you to sleep more." Tella smiled as we stood up.
"Thanks Tella." I smiled shaking her hand.
"You should come over soon to see the kids and Ken. He will enjoy your company." She smiled.
"Maybe we will, soon." I smiled as she shook hands with Chantal.
"I'll be waiting." She smiled widely guiding us to the door.