10# I Put A Spell On You

Song: I Put A Spell On You- Nina Simone.
Chantal
"Hmm?" I waited for his answer.
"I don't know what to say, but these boys were checking you out, and I had to stop them without causing problems. That's the normal thing a guy would do when he's walking with a lady." He said nervously.
"Um- sure." I cleared my throat as he threw the potatoes in the heating oil.
"I mean-" He paused as I turned to give him my full attention. "It's not about any guy.. That was kinda different."
"How?"
"I just had to stop them. Thank God that I didn't really do something to them!"
"Why did you feel obligated to stop them?"
"Because- I have to protect you?" He cleared his throat making me furrow my brows.
"But you were off work, Ian."
"It's not about work." He glared at me as he threw a small towel on the counter and walked out.
"Hey, we're talking!" I protested following him outside.
Taking a deep breath, he turned to look at me in the eyes. "So, do you really don't understand, or are you playing dumb?"
Taken aback by his answer, I shook my head, "What was that?"
"I'm sorry, but I can't control myself and I don't want to lose you!"
"Why would you lose me? Please be clear."
Just say it.
I wanna hear it.
Say it!
"Chantal, I feel like you're someone important to me- like something bigger in my life. To me, you mean more than just someone that I saved from fire. I feel like you're the one saving me, actually-"
"I-"
"Please let me finish. I understand that you need time to mourn over your husband, and that to you, I'm nothing more than just your life-saver, and I have no problem with that- at all. Just give me a chance, and don't run away from me." He let out a breath as he looked at me in the eye.
"I won't run away from you." I shrugged. "I feel safe with you, I guess. Actually, you're the only one who popped into my mind when I was afraid. I have my cousins, for example, but I know that they would not be welcoming as much as I need, now. Thank you for understanding, and giving me time, and I'll let you know when I'm ready." I smiled at him for a second. "Did you forget something...?" I trailed off as his eyes widened and sprinted to the kitchen.
"Shit! shit! shit!" He yelled over and over as the burning hot pan fell from his hands.
"Oh my God!" I gasped as he looked up at me with a black potato in his hand.
"There's a chinese restaurant down the street. I guess it's time for us to try it?" He smiled sheeplishly making me burst out laughing, and soon enough he joined me.
"I guess." I nodded grabbing my purse as I walked out with him following.
"So, we're walking?" He asked and I nodded.
"Yeah, my leg feels normal again, and I'm willing to walk." I smiled as he locked the door.
"We should go to the doctor, though. Are you changing bandages regularly?" He asked.
"Sure. Are you?"
"Yeah." He nodded with a smile.
And there, we walked in silence. I can't wrap my mind over the idea of Ian falling for me. He's a charming guy, around my age and I feel safe around him. He's kind, and his family is loving, and I- well, I like him too. I just need to know what's happening with Damon. Once I'm sure he's dead, I'll marry Ian. Just like that. Why would I say no?
"We're here." He cleared his throat pointing at a door and motioning for me to go in first.
"Oh yeah." I smiled pushing the door open.
"Hey, ma'am."
"Hi, I want a table for two, please." I smiled at him.
"Here." He helped me into my chair as Ian sat across of me.
"Thank you." I smiled as the waiter approached with menus.
"What are you getting?"
"Sweet and sour chicken, I guess." I shrugged.
"I'll take the same." He winked making me blush.
"Would you like rice or anything?"
"Yeah, make them two and a bottle of water, please." Ian smiled as the waiter nodded and walked away.
"Did you call your mother, today?"
"Yeah, they're good, and my aunt is feeling better, but they will stay another week just to make sure."
"That's good." I smiled.
"Chantal, I don't want you to feel awkward. If what I said will make you feel uncomfortable, then forget it."
"If I was feeling uncomfortable, I would've left." I ressured.
"I hope so." He sighed.
"Tell me, what are your hobbies?" I smiled changing the subject.
"Nothing much, I used to join drama classes, but I didn't give it more attention. Sometimes I read, but I don't have time with all the work, you know?"
"Yeah, your job is so dangerous-"
"Danger is exciting."
"That's ridiculous." I huffed.
"It may sound ridiculous to you, but saving people gives me strength as much as it gives me pain."
"When you lose someone close to you, it's never exciting."
"Why are you looking at the empty part of the glass?" He shrugged.
"Cause it's consequences are too much to handle."
"Only people who care will say that." He teased.
"Who said I don't?" I raised a brow.
"Ohh." He chuckles as the waiter approached with our plates.
"Thank you." I smiled at him as he nodded in appreciation.
"You tell me, what do you do in your free time?"
"I sketch- sometimes, and I used to be a ballerina, but Damon made me stop."
"That's cruel." He frowned taking the first bite.
"That was nothing when it comes to his cruelty. If you say that danger is exciting, then Damon was super exciting." I smiled faitly. "Just from your prescription, though."
"Why did you stay, Chantal? Why didn't you resist?"
"I had many reasons... so many reasons." I sighed. "I love this place, though."
"Yeah, and the food is good." He smiled switching the mood once again.
At least we're openning up. That's a good step.