Outside The Lines {10}

Start from the beginning

                “Thalia, are you hungry?” Kim asked.

                “Yea, I kind of am,” Thalia said.

                “Alright. I’ll go grab us something to eat and drink. Be right back,” she said and disappeared into the kitchen.

                “Thalia dear, come take a seat,” I said, tapping the end of the couch with my foot.

                Thalia came over and sat down. I folded my hands behind my head and propped up on the arm rest of the couch.

                I took in the sight of Thalia, who was so incredibly similar to Theo that it was almost a little creepy. They had the same wet green eyes, the same brown hair with blond highlights, and the same facial structure. It was eerie.

                But there were subtle differences about them that intrigued me. I was very good at picking out little features on people. I ached to draw Theo and Thalia, to see if I could capture their similarities and differences on paper.

                “You’re staring at me,” Thalia said, laughing.

                “Well, you’re a beautiful girl. How could I not stare?” I shot her a charming smile.

                She really was a beautiful girl, and with a beautiful name to accompany her looks. She radiated a strong independence and confidence in herself.

                Then there was her brother. Theo had a sort of fragility to him, something that his sarcastic nature and short temper distracted most people from. There were small things about him that I so longed to draw. The way one of his eyelids dropped slightly lower than the other, making him look tired all the time. The way one side of his mouth pulled up before the other when he smiled.

                “Dimitri, you’re kind of scaring me. You’re never this quiet,” Thalia said, sounding curious. “Are you alright?”

                “Perfectly fine,” I assured her. “Just a little thoughtful.”

                The front door opened and I heard someone making their way down the hallway. They stepped into the living room and I didn’t even have to look over to know it was Kim’s mom, Heather.

                “Hi Dimitri,” Heather greeted. “Honestly, where on earth do you get those kinds of clothes?”

                “I have my resources. Heather, this is Thalia. Thalia, this is Kim’s mom Heather,” I said, lazily gesturing.

                “Hello Thalia! Nice to meet you,” Heather said.

                “Nice to meet you too,” Thalia said.

                “Is Kim in the kitchen?” Heather asked.

                “Yes ma’am. Kimberly darling is making us food,” I said.

                Heather disappeared into the kitchen in search of her daughter. I let my eyes wander back to Thalia.

                “Hey Dimitri, I have a question,” Thalia said.

                “I might have an answer,” I said.

                “Why do you always go around my brother? He’s so mean to you,” she said with a frown.