Ch 19. Paula's Problem

Start from the beginning

The minute I say that Dylan turns his head towards her and wraps his arm around her shoulder.

"See babe it's not just me. why don't you tell me. You've been like this since fifth period. And about the other thing...sorry." He blushes slightly, scratching the back of his head as a nervous gesture. Paula nods but doesn't comment.

Fifth period is her art class and I always saw her bring her notepad to the lunch table but these past few weeks she's been kind of down lately. I thought I'd give her time and space, let Dylan handle but judging by his concerned expression he hasn't gotten any answers. Suddenly everyone's eyes are on her including Ash's, yet his face was impassive. As we all scrutinize her body language checking for signs of hurt or emotional pain she clears get throat and gives us all a quick glance.

" I'm fine don't worry. It's just my father yeah!" She said it so quickly that I didn't believe it for one second. Dylan flinched at the mention of her father.

Paula has told me that her father didn't approve but was tolerating there relationship. So far things have been okay and Dylan has all his fingers intact so nothing majorly drastic happened- except for yelling and deadly glares. Every time that Dylan would come over he would get scared shitless. It was amusing to hear but we all told him to do his best and to understand that the father is most likely to be the aggressive type.

"C'mon Paula we know your lying just tell us. We got your back." Angie anticipates with a rough edge in her voice . We all nod in agreement knowing very well that we had no doubts about that. Paula looks like she's squirming and I sigh knowing that if we pry get for anymore that she'll shut us out completely.

"Still though!! Your father needs to stop giving me those deadly glares. It's like he's going to kill me even if I touch your arm." This has Paula giggling and the color in her cheeks comes back as if all was forgotten.

"It's okay guys I'm fine. It's just... I need to complete an assignment for art. I need supplies." She twirls her hair and shuffles her fingers.

I look at Ricky and nod. I understand what he's trying to say. We have to give it more time.

"Okay how about this.. we go to the mall and find a craft store." I suggest.

"When will we go?" John asks excited. I blink for a moment.

"Obviously on the weekend." He blushes and Angie grabs his arm and pulls it toward her side.

"Okay so it's settled." Dylan says. We all nod. I take a chance and notice that Ash it's looking at me or anyone else,except Paula who is shrinking slightly in her seat.

"Yaaaay Spencer's here we come!!" Angie shouts making Ricky glare at her, she fixes her glasses and sticks out her tongue. John is laughing so hard that he spilled some of his soda. I try to stop Ricky from going all overprotective brother on her and to just continue.

We all start talking about our day as what else were going to do. I want that occupied since my stomach was doing flips.