Ch 19. Paula's Problem

I'd like to dedicate this chapter to everyone who voted, you know who you are

Callie's POV

Waking up was tough as hell. I wake up to the light hitting my eyes. My mother was home and she had breakfast on the table, a warm smile on her face yet fatigue. I was surprised knowing that my mom always had a look of stress from work or paying bills lately. But all that aside I really was nervous about going to school today.

It's been a few weeks.

Weeks since I've talked to Ash.

Weeks since I've been near him.

Weeks since he's rejoined our group and everyone accepted him back.

The languid look on John's face as he noticed Ash sit beside me at the lunch table.

Ash would go to Dylan's locker and talk with him before our first class. It felt so strange yet normal at the same time. He just redeemed himself and was sucked back into our group,even Ricky was okay with it. And it seems like an every day cycle. Ever since that encounter and the shocking words that came out of my mouth ,I felt a sense of relief flood my chest. I felt so free and calm. It's been a hectic few months ,I've tried to forget him but it was always itching at the back of my mind . But I always tried to enjoy what was right in frot of me. Valerie, Angie and Paula have been extremely supportive ,they always told me to take it my own pace.

But now it's been a few weeks and everything seems awkward. I feel very nervous like a girl talking to my crush and it's really strange.

I eat breakfast and I grab my things while dusting off my clothes. I thank my mom for the meal and examine my outfit before leaving. I have Chuck Taylor's and leggings and a hoodie. My leggings accentuated my thighs and I cringed as I grab the door handle.

"Have a good day at school honey." I give her a reassuring smile and mask my concerns as I open the door and go down the porch. As I'm walking the pathway I look at the bright sun. I don't shield my eyes and just take in the warmth. I need this warm feeling, I've been feeling butterflies in my chest lately. I get so worked up that I've been stress eating. Ricky tried to cheer me up but every time Ash came to school I'd go home eat more pizza of whatever junk food I could find.

It's been weird going to work as well. Martin is thrilled to have his son coming in once in a while but me on the other hand can't take it, I feel as if the grim reaper has his seethe near my throaty hat I can only inhale when Ash was around or helping out.

As I walk to class Valerie greets me with a smile and guides me to my locker. Her teeth pop out slightly as she smiles. Remembering what she said to me that day of the party had me giving her a quick hug.

"How've you been with all this." She motions towards the group of guys across from my locker. Ash's brown eyes lighten up as Dylan says something humorous. They go in a chorus of laughs. I flinch and turn away quickly. I take control of my breathing and close my locker.

"You'll be okay in history. Just be calm and have your thoughts together. don't worry." She reassures me and walks away to her class. I bite my lip and desperately look for Angie through the crowd of students but can't find her or her brother. I sigh and just head to class where Mr.Comnie is writing today's assignment on the board.