Ch 19. Paula's Problem

Start from the beginning

When Mr.Connie gave me that lousy detention on the first day, I was assuming he'd be a horrible teacher who was going to pick on my sorry ass, but all in all this is probably my least favorite class to be in. He's actually nice, as he gives me a respectful nod and I take my seat. The classroom is abundant with students exuding boredom and I take my seat and fiddle with my fingers.

I notice Ashley as she fixes her makeup. Noticing my glance she gives me an evil glare and opens her pink notebook acting if its the most fascinating thing in the world. I'm glad she's out of my hair, but at the same time I miss her screams when I pranked her those several times. It feels weird to prank, I haven't done it in such a long time, but knowing the reason why I just set it aside for now.

My skin prickles as Ash enters the classroom. People look his way as murmurs are muttered under his nose. Ashley gives him a flirtatious look which he ignores to my satisfaction. He suddenly sits behind me and I feel my back tense up. I sit up straighter and try to focus on the boring lesson but my eyes wanted to pry out of my sockets and turn to focus on what Ash is doing behind me. I can hear him breathing and his musky smell of cologne choice. I don't know why I wanted to jump out of my bones but I felt my neck turning slightly,face set on the floor and moving till I saw part of his Nikes on the dirty floor of the classroom.

His closeness made me uneasy but in a way that made my stomach gurgle as if I was hungry. I focused on my hands instead of him and wrote down something Mr.Connie said. Hopefully lunch will be much better and less intense.

When I arrived with nothing but a juice bottle and fries Ricky was the first one to motion for me to sit. I oblige and he gives me a smile.

"Hey how were your classes." I nod and humm in reply. Grabbing some fries I look across where John and Angie are having a conversation.

"It's been good so far. Some classes were a bust though." He just laughs and sets his hand on my knee. I smile and put my hand over his. Ricky has been so overprotective lately but I know we've grown more closely. I see him in a new light, I've seen him exude his good and bad sides but it seems to draw me in and comfort me. It was almost like a brother and sister bond, I felt comfortable yet safe at the same time.

"AAAW that's sucks!! A s for calculus my teacher can honestly just stop teaching." I laugh at John's input and pretend to wipe a fake tear.

"That's too bad. Geez I don't know what's made the teachers start to be totally whack." I hear other people agree with me and realize they've been listening in on our conversation.

"Oh yeah I definitely screwed up in anatomy. Why is it that my teacher can't talk about boobs in that class." My mouth was partially open and Angie slapped him across the head.

"Yeah as if Paula would let you see her boobs."

Dylan is laughing and he blushes and turns to Ash. I notice that Paula has a sad look on her face and I bang my fist lightly on the table to get her attention. She looks up a bit startled and I laugh lightly. She gives me a small smile

but something felt...off.

"Are you okay you seem down . Is it what Dylan said?"