Outside The Lines {8}

Start from the beginning

                “I want a quesadilla for dinner,” I said, turning away from her.

                “Quesadillas are your comfort food,” she said, grinning a little. “So, mom’s right again. Just think about, Theo.”

                She left my bedroom, shutting the door behind her as she went. I groaned and went over to my bed, collapsing on it and rubbing my eyes.

                “She can’t be right,” I whispered.

                But…what if she was?

                I wasn’t against being homosexual or anything. I just never considered myself to be gay, bisexual, or even questioning. I had never had feelings for a guy before. Just girls.

                It wasn’t the thought of being homosexual that had me panicking so much. It was the thought of liking Dimitri.

                The front door opened and I got up, deciding to go talk to Thalia about this. I went downstairs and found Thalia talking to my parents in the kitchen.

                “You, come with me,” I said, gripping her hand and dragging her along with me.

                “Uh…I was talking,” she said, pointing at mom and dad.

                “Past tense,” I said, pulling her out of the kitchen and upstairs to my bedroom.

                I shut my bedroom door and sat on my bed. Thalia joined me, looking at me curiously.

                “What’s up?” she asked.

                “Dimitri. Does he like you?” I asked.

                Thalia shrugged. “I don’t know. Kim says he’s just a playfully flirty person. Why?”

                “Because he got with Danni O’Dell. Danni, who is incredibly beautiful, hard to get, and the definition of abstinence. Or, was the definition of abstinence, until Dimitri popped that cherry.”

                “Your vocabulary astounds me,” she said, rolling her eyes. “But what does that matter? Do you honestly think I’d go off and sleep with Dimitri? Theo, we’ve talked to the guy for, like, a week.”

                “Did he say anything about me?”

                “I told that I think he’s just playing around with you. He rarely mentions you when you’re not around, Theo. Why?”

                “Thalia, do I seem like I could be gay? Oh gosh. What are gay people even like?” I asked, starting to panic a little.

                “Uh…Theo? Gay people are the same as straight people. They just like the same gender.” Her eyes widened a little. “Wait a second. Do you like Dimitri?”

                “Mom said I might,” I said miserably. “And when was the last time she was wrong?”

                “Never,” Thalia said, frowning. “That woman is never wrong.”

                “Okay, seriously, I wouldn’t even care if it was anyone else. But Dimitri?” I ruffled my hair, irritated and frustrated.

                “Once you get past his looks, he’s a good person Theo. Him and Kim both are. Kim kind of hinted to me that he’s a little promiscuous, but other than that, he really does seem like a great guy. He’s funny, he’s thoughtful, and he’s really kind,” she said, putting an arm around my shoulders.