Chapter 9

“What the hell do you mean ‘no’”? Blake demanded, slamming his fist upon my nightstand. “Aggie has been riding her entire life! It is her life, and you expect her to just go on without it?”

            I felt a mixture of pleasure towards how much Blake truly cared about my racing and a twinge of pain because I wouldn’t race again. I took his hand in my bandaged palms.

            “Blake, calm down… Doctor, you’re positive I won’t ride ever again?”

            Doctor Alfred began collecting his materials before looking me in the face. “I am sincerely sorry, Ms. Pierce, but you would need a miracle to become a jockey again. And those don’t come around very often…” And then he walked out, leaving us all dumbfounded.

            I took a deep breath and relaxed into the pillow. Everyone’s faces were scared and relieved. No one knew what my reaction would be to never riding again yet everyone was more than happy to have me safe at home once more.

            “What’s happened to Henry?” I asked suddenly, the animal creeping into my mind once more. “Where is he?”

            Claire walked up to the bed and crouched beside me. “They’ve taken him to the laboratory in town—they’re going to perform tests…”

            Just as quickly as I had lain down, I bolted into an upright position. “No, they can’t! They’re going to hurt him!”

            Blake shook his head and crouched beside Claire. “Aggie, forget about that animal! Because of it you can’t ride anymore! You’re safe now! That’s all that matters—let the scientists worry about it!”

            “I can’t! Henry was real! A friend! He protected me while I was alone out there!”

            “Forget him, Agatha! He’s as good as dead at this point!” Blake shouted, standing over her menacingly.

            That had crossed the line. I felt my face flush pink and my hands form painful fists. “Get out! All of you! Get the hell out of my room!”

            Everyone turned on their heel immediately and fled, knowing that the only thing I needed right now was personal space. I had no idea how I was going to get along with no more racing and not really knowing what was happening with Henry…

(Six weeks later)

            It had been several weeks since I was rescued from the cave that Henry and I resided in and the fall was starting to drop in. Leaves went from their mighty green to the magnificent colors of red, yellow, and orange. My knee had nearly finished healing, and I was able to ride—but not race on my horses again, though I took caution. I managed to talk the laboratory into giving me frequent updates on Henry and, as a result, I wasn’t as on edge as I usually. Blake didn’t approve of this, exactly (“You’re obsessing over something that you needn’t think about anymore.”).

            Today was very different. I found myself able to walk without the assistance of a crutch for the first time. I experienced no pain and chose to celebrate my newfound freedom by inviting Blake to come with me on a small trail ride. He accepted but double checked that I was ready for a long ride.

            “Of course! I’ve been waiting for weeks, and now it has finally come! C’mon, let’s get Pistol and Tazer,” I replied giddily, walking through the backdoor toward the stable.

            Once saddled up, I lead our horses into a trail I frequently used before injuring myself. We remained quiet, trotting side-by-side. The weather was cool and breezy, making it a pleasant walk until we passed a small cave. My mind was instantly back in the cave that Henry and I shared nearly two months ago. It suddenly occurred to me that the laboratory hadn’t called in several days to update me on Henry’s condition.